No shutdown..

oldbeefer2 14:16 04 Oct 2008

Well it does, but then starts again! Had a largish update to download last night. Since then, if I close the lid on laptop (sleep) or close it down completely, it all seems to work normally, but then comes back to life (sounds and light - even with the lid closed). Restoring to before the update has cured the problem, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

peter99co 17:59 06 Oct 2008

What was the Update?

smiler1st 17:05 21 Oct 2008

I experienced this after an upgrade and my laptop (Sony Vaio PCGZ1) was never the same until a work colleague pointed me to this site where I managed to get a recovery cd
click here

oldbeefer2 13:59 23 Oct 2008

SP1 downloaded while my wife was in Oz with the laptop. Now won't boot at all. What is going on? Going to look at it when she arrives home this evening. Son says he has the answer "buy a Mac". I'm beginning to think he may be right!

peter99co 16:11 24 Oct 2008

Uninstall SP1. It is possible.

sunny staines 16:45 24 Oct 2008

since an upgrade to my nvidia driver not had it since, but it was erratic anyway so not sure if its a red herring.

oldbeefer2 13:25 26 Oct 2008

Spent and hour on the phone to Mr Patel somewhere in the world. He talked me through checks of hardware. He asked me to run the repair disc - drive wouldn't read it. After a few more tries, he suggested putting a drop of water on it and wiping it - said the problem could be static. Didn't believe him, but tried it. Voila - disc being read. He the said he would transfer me to a software technician, but that was not covered by warranty and would cost me 60 quid. thanked him, rang off and (now the disc could be read) carried out a 'restore to factory config' (the only one it would let me do). That worked, reinstalled all the other software and confuser now working as advertised. Still think I may go for a Mac next time though!

oldbeefer2 18:00 16 Nov 2008

The problem (no sleep) reoccured. Finally (thanks Google) found the reason. If anyone else has this problem I'll run through (or provide a link to) the solution.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires