no dvd drive after installing windows 7

paul321 15:23 09 Jan 2010

Hi, I have a problem with dvd drive after intalling windows 7 professional upgrade to an Acer 8571.

The drive is visible in device manager after start up and works only once before disappearing (autorun doesnt work at all). I have tried reinstalling 7 at least 4 times now and Acer help line are useless.
I've also tried downloading latest drivers but apparently the one i have is correct.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Pine Man 15:48 09 Jan 2010
  paul321 16:15 09 Jan 2010

thanks for that, i tried it but it didnt work

Icky 18:46 12 Jan 2010

I did a full install of Windows 7 64 bit. My DVD drives completely disappeared after installing an old dvd writing program which didn't work and so I then uninstalled it.
It's not the same as your problem, but Dell sent me these instructions to solve it -- and it solved it!!!

Delete the Upper and lower Filters (This will make some changes in the registry. Make sure the following steps are done correctly else it might result in system not booting up correctly.)

1. Click on 'Start' icon at the bottom left.
2. Click on 'Run'.
3. Type 'Regedit' and press enter.
4. Select the option 'HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE'.
5. Select 'System' and click on 'Current Control Set'.
6. Click 'Control' and then select 'Class'.
7. Select 4D36E965-E325-11CE.
8. From the right hand side of the screen delete any entries that say Upper Filters or Lower Filters.
9. Restart the computer and DVD Drive should be able to read discs.

paul321 09:52 13 Jan 2010

Thanks Icky
I tried typing 'Regedit' but no results.

Icky 11:46 13 Jan 2010

I've just had another look.
If you just click on the 'Start' icon and where it says 'Search for programs and files' type Regedit then is shows at the top of the list.

Icky 11:48 13 Jan 2010

I've just had another look.
If you just click on the 'Start' icon and where it says 'Search for programs and files' type Regedit then it shows at the top of the list.
Then click on the Regedit icon and follow the previous instructions.

Strawballs 22:20 13 Jan 2010

This seeems to be a common problem with Win 7 when you see how many threads there have been on subject, my daughter has machine with 2 optical drives and the one I used to install windows is always there but the other one quite often isn't and I have to rescan drives in disc management in admin tools.

paul321 09:57 14 Jan 2010

I followed all the steps but still not working.
Must be a fix for Dell only. At least Dell solved your problem, I'm still waiting for Acer to answer my email!!!

baldbazza 12:27 31 Jan 2010

Thanks for posting this. I had a similar problem with my HP dv6 Pavilion, which stopped recognising the DVD/CD drive (could have been when I upgraded iTunes but I can't be certain).

Device Manager showed a yellow exclamation mark against "TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633M" and reported "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"

Uninstalling iTunes and other CD/DVD-related programs made no difference.

I used Regedit to delete the Upper Filters and Lower Filters keys as outlined above by Icky. Success! DVD/CD drive is now recognised.

Installed iTunes & other stuff again - only strange thing now is that iTunes reports that it cannot see any CD drive, then immediately and correctly identifies the CD loaded in it. Think I'll just live with that.

Technocrate 11:27 26 Feb 2010

A DVD drive not showing up in Windows 7 can have various reasons. One of the more common ones is if Windows 7 64-bit is installed on the computer. The 64-bit edition of Windows 7 verifies the digital signature of hardware drivers. If a driver cannot be verified it will be shown with a yellow exclamation mark in the device manager.
A quick workaround is to press F8 during boot to turn off digital signing. A permanent solution would be to disable the check of digital signatures completely:
1. Press Windows R, type regedit and press enter.
2. Open the Registry key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
3. In the right pane, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.
4. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.
5. In the right pane, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.
6. Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.
7. Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017