No audio from speakers W8

Quickbeam 08:47 05 Jun 2014
Answered

First of all I've checked the other posts on this but can't see a solution in them.

Problem: PB laptop no sound since last update.

Checked the device properties and no fault flags showing. Tried the troubleshooter, but no problem found. Tried the update driver option but no newer driver available. The test speaker button in that box gives a sound. No sound to headphone output either. Checked the obvious, mute on/off...

No idea!

BRYNIT 09:11 05 Jun 2014

Have you tried going to desktop, right click on speaker icon on the rights, select playback devices and check that speakers are selected as default.

Quickbeam 09:47 05 Jun 2014

Done all the obvious. Just realised that this is W8 in W7 and I'll do another system restore now.

rdave13 13:05 05 Jun 2014

I would first go to device manager, expand sound, video and game controllers, right click the audio driver and roll back the driver to see if that works. If it does you will need to hide the audio driver update in Windows updates.

Quickbeam 14:16 05 Jun 2014

Nothing untoward in the device manager and it says the device driver is working properly, but still no sound.

If all fails I'll do a full system recovery to as I bought it, but that's a pain.

rdave13 17:31 05 Jun 2014

How many audio drivers are shown in device manager? Sometimes the driver shows it's ok although not working. Did you try to roll back? I have Realtek HD audio and a few Nvidia HD's as well as WDM which is a virtual audio device.

rdave13 17:35 05 Jun 2014

Another one to check, right click speaker icon in notification area, playback devices, right click the sound properties pane (blank space) and tick both boxes. It might not be showing a disabled device.

Quickbeam 12:44 27 Jun 2014
Answer

After trying everything suggested and deciding I'd take it to the repair shop, it decided to fix itself!

But I've no idea what the problem was...

rdave13 20:17 27 Jun 2014

Quickbeam , be honest, you threatened the machine with tinned tomatoes and it gave up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone