No audio device for Vista!

cowgirl66 21:10 16 Jun 2007

Windows Vista has just been installed as an upgrade from XP and at first all went fine. Now there is no sound coming from the speakers even though they are lit up, and every time I try to play a music file I get the message from Windows Media telling me there is no audio playback, that maybe there is no device installed or if there is one it is being used by another application.

There is a red cross over the speaker icon in the taskbar right corner, and when I right click on this to see the audio video properties, there is no device installed! The sound worked fine at first, when starting up Windows and shutting down etc. and according to Device Manager there are no drivers that need to be installed/updated.

What is it that's causing this as it's driving me barmy!

Regards cowgirl66

eoinrua 21:51 16 Jun 2007

Don't talk to me about Windows Vista! Especially sound problems and Media Player.

I'm not sure about your specific problem, but another one in my box is that Media Player would play most of a track and, about 20 seconds from the end, crack up for a second or two, before continuing as normal. (There is a workaround for this one, so if anyone's having problems with it, continue the thread and I'll explain.)

Not much fun. Even worse, Media Player 11 will not rip CD audio. I reinstalled XP - on a separate HD - but then I got NO sound at all, even though the device manager said the codecs were fine.

How did I sort that one out? Simple, I switched to Linux on my second hard drive and that's where I do all my music management.(Storing files, burning CDs and the like)

I know this is a Vista thread (and I'm a Vista user) but I'm finding that Linux answers many questions that Windows can't.

By the way, on the Vista thing, OS updates are always dodgy - it's normally better to clean install with the full OS instead of an upgrade.

That's if you can afford a full Microsoft OS!

(BTW, what spec's the machine and what version of Vista are you using?

Kate B 00:55 17 Jun 2007

Have you got Realtek onboard audio? Vista drivers here click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017