No audio device is installed message

Zebrapec 22:45 02 Jul 2008

Since getting a Ei 308 computer running win Vista home premium I have had no sound coming out of the speakers used on my old win XP computer. The speaker icon next to the clock has a red circle with a cross inside and when I float the mouse pointer over it states that I have no Audio Output Device Installed. Help please.

mrwoowoo 23:30 02 Jul 2008

First thing is to check in the bios to make sure the onboard sound is enabled.
To enter the bios you must
press a key (such as F2, F12, DEL, ESC) or a key combination immediately after you turn on your computer(or you can restart it) but before windows loads.
If you are quick,you can see what button to press to enter set up when the pc is booting up.
If not just tap a key a few times whilst booting.
Onboard sound should be something like ac 97 audio or similar.

Zebrapec 15:37 03 Jul 2008

ok, entered bios but I can see nothing that resembles sound, ac 97 or otherwise. Anymore help please.

chub_tor 17:23 03 Jul 2008

Right click Computer, click Properties, Device Manager, Scroll down to Sound, Video and Game Controllers click on the + sign. You will probably see a Yellow question mark or a Triangle with an exclamation mark. Right Click and delete it and if it says Uninstall driver do that too. Then at top right of Device Manager you should see Add New Hardware. Click on it and let Windows find the sound driver. (Or you could just reboot after uninstalling)

Zebrapec 21:31 03 Jul 2008

There is no Yellow question mark or triangle, sorry. There is a speaker symbol and the words 'Realtek High Definition audio'. When I right click on this is says this device is working properly. Any other thoughts please.

Zebrapec 22:00 03 Jul 2008

Ok, RED faces all around. It is the first LCD monitor I have had, and did not know the speakers where part of the screen. Anyhow, my son set it up for me and had put the stereo jack plug into the wrong outlet at the back of the tower system.
All working now. Thanks all.

mrwoowoo 23:32 03 Jul 2008

Thanks for letting us know as it may help others.
Don't feel bad,we've all been there, and even do things like that now.It's called being human.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017