Hello everyone :)

My new PC consists of the following:
Vista 64bit Premium
Intel Q9650 @ 3.8Ghz
8Gb DDR3 1600
300Gb Vlociraptor
1Tb Samsung F1
2x Optiacc DVD drives

I'm pulling my hair out because DVD drive access is so slow. At one point all I wanted to do was explore a CD containing various small text files (6-7k). I hate my new machine compared to my 2 year old XP machine. Is there any reason my new PC would behave like this? Support blame vista totally. I tried a few things like disabling stuff in services but I'm so fed up with how crap Vista is, that my PC is packed and ready to go back :(

BurrWalnut 18:35 29 Nov 2008

I know it’s irritating but it will improve. Have a look at my evolving list of things that could be responsible for slowing down the start up, running and shutting down of your computer. Not all of them will apply to you but look through the list and try those that seem appropriate:

1. Make sure your computer is free from malware as that can slow it down, i.e. run your ‘anti’ programs.
2. Indexing takes a day or so to settle down on a new Vista computer. However, if you don’t do much internal searching, turn it off completely, look here click here
3. Turn off ‘automatic defragmentation’ via Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmentation. Also, stop Windows Defender from auto-scanning and check if your antivirus program is scanning at boot time.
4. You’ll get a slightly faster start up if you optimise the boot files and applications by running a special defragmentation from an elevated CMD prompt, i.e. click the Windows Orb (Start) > All Programs > Accessories and right-click Command Prompt, then ‘Run as Administrator’. Type defrag C:\ -b (note the two spaces) and press Enter.
5. When you have a slow boot, check that no external drives have media in them. If they have, experiment by booting with it inserted and without. If you have a built-in card reader remove the little plastic cover that protects the slot, which can occasionally cause a slow down.
6. To check if a particular program is slowing the machine when you switch on, e.g. an antivirus program or when you shut down, go to Control Panel > Classic View > Performance Information and Tools > Advanced Tools in the left pane. On this screen the problem is sometimes shown. If not, click View Performance Details in Event Log (Event Viewer). Events in the 100 series are boot events and I believe those in the 200 series are shut down events. These can be followed by double-clicking them, then clicking Event Log Online at the bottom. Lots of information on Event Viewer click here
7. Try Microsoft’s Process Explorer. There is an explanation and a link to Microsoft’s site here click here
8. I don’t agree with all of these speed improvement tips but you may find something that looks familiar, read through the list here click here and/or here click here
9. Reduce the number of programs that start up when you switch on the computer. The program Startups.exe contains a list of programs that are either needed at startup, not needed at startup, optional at startup or contain malware, download it here click here and then run it, allowing space on the screen to run the msconfig program window alongside it.

Click the Windows Orb (Start), type msconfig and press Enter. Go to the StartUp Tab and make a note of all programs that have a tick against them. These are the programs that startup when the computer is switched on. Type the names into a search in the Startups program and then in msconfig‘s StartUp Tab, remove the ticks from those programs you don’t want to run when you start the computer. Don’t remove the ticks from any that you are unsure about or which appear in StartUps as essential (identified with a Y in the leftmost column). When you’ve finished removing the ticks, close msconfig and let the computer restart. You will get a reminder that you’re running Selective Startup, just tick ’Don’t show this again’ or similar wording.

Windows Defender can also be used instead of msconfig to identify which programs are loaded at start up and two other programs can be used instead of Startups.exe. They are Startup Inspector from here click here and Autoruns from here click here Autoruns additionally shows which program launches a startup item and the author of the software.

chub_tor 19:19 29 Nov 2008

Slow access to a DVD drive seems to be a function of the motherboard/SATA DVD rather than Vista itself. Take a look at click here Some people have gone back to using an IDE instead of a SATA drive.

For general Google comments on this problem click here=

Why wont it work 20:38 29 Nov 2008

This can be because you have sata hard drives with the sata controller set to AHCI or RAID mode, apparently some DVD drives don't like this. If you google AHCI and SATA DVD drives you should find a solution (I think). It shouldn't really be anything to do with vista though.

JAM3S 21:03 29 Nov 2008

Hi guys
Thanks for replying. I still can't believe my computer vendor would let a machine ship like this and then blame Vista. Surely they would know of this possible SATA Drive problem? My PC gets shipped back on Monday for a refund. I still need a new PC and am not sure where to turn to now, I can't build one and am kinda scared I might end up with another like this.

Thanks again guys.

JAM3S 21:06 29 Nov 2008

@ BurrWalnut - thanks for taking time to post your list, have printed it out for future reference.

kristain 08:25 10 Dec 2010

Step 1
Defragment your hard drive. An increasingly common practice is to fragment a hard drive, allocating certain chunks of space to certain things. A portion for work, a portion for music, a portion for games. This is a good idea, but a draining one. Your computer requires more power for each fragment you create. Access your partition manager, using the search bar in the "Start" menu, and remove a few partitions. This will get your computer moving a little faster. If you haven't created a partition before, then ignore this step.

Step 2
Add more RAM. RAM is "Random Access Memory," and it can be the key to speeding up a slow running computer. When a computer is lagging, often it is because the computer does not have enough memory to run the operating system. Adding more is the only guaranteed way to fix this problem. Windows Vista functions with a computer running 512 megabytes of RAM, but works best with around 1 gigabyte. Boosting your computer to 2 gigabytes will have Vista functioning even better. If you computer is running slowly, consider going to your local computer supplier and purchasing a RAM card for your computer.

Step 3
Remove unused programs and files. Computers tend to operate like landfills at times, collecting heaps of garbage and storing it. That garbage is in the form of unused programs and files, and it sucks the memory out of your computer. In turn, that slows your computer. Back your files onto an external drive, and delete them off your main computer. The only files on your main computer should be things you frequently access, or will need to access presently. The same goes for programs. If you never use it, uninstall it. The returned memory will be a much needed boost your computer's speed.

Step 4
Get a new computer. This seems like an odd fix for a slow computer, but it may turn out to be your only option. This is a last resort scenario, but one you may need to consider. Windows Vista functions on older model computers that have been upgraded to the new operating system. However, this is only really true to a certain degree. Older models weren't built with the new operating system in mind, and many just can't handle it. You can clean everything out of your computer, but they will still run slowly. If you've tried everything you can think of to boost your computer's performance, and it's still not happening, it might be time to discuss purchasing a new computer.

for more info click here

Kevscar1 09:27 10 Dec 2010

kristain
Did you bother to read the ops post
Step1 It's a new machine no need to defrag.
Step2 He's got 8gb of ram probably more than you have in yours
Step 3 It's a new computer not liable to be full of old unued programs.
Step 4 It is a new computer.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie