New to Vista

J B 21:50 07 May 2007

Just bought an HP dv9340ea click here and I found out that my little BT voyager 105 will not work with Vista. Can anyone recommend a bog standard adsl router that is a no brainer to set up so that I can get connected?

The other pressing problem is that I have Office 2003 Standard installed on my XP machine. I understand that Outlook will not work with Vista. Is this true and if so can I do a custom install and just put Word, Powerpoint, and Excel in without conflicts. Any help is appreciated. J.B.

Kate B 21:55 07 May 2007

The Netgear DG834G is a cracking router - just plug it in and set it up via the browser.

Outlook is fine in Vista, but if your copy is an OEM one you won't be able to put it on the new PC.

J B 22:09 07 May 2007

I forgot to say that my ISP doesn't support anything other than BT products, bad I know, but that is how it goes I guess. The office suite I have is store bought retail. Going off line now, words are running together, old age I guess. Be back tomorrow. J.B.

Totally-braindead 23:09 07 May 2007

Don't see how any ISP could identify what router you use or why it would make any difference.

Kate B 23:23 07 May 2007

It doesn't matter what your router is. I suspect what BT is saying is that if you run into trouble with a piece of kit they haven't sold you, they won't support you, but that's no loss unless you happen to like spending hours on the phone while someone in a call centre goes through a flow chart with you. You'll get better help with you.

J B 20:31 08 May 2007

Got it up and running but still not fully wireless yet. I am going to call tech support later and ask why, maybe I did smething wrong, wait and see. I will tick resolved for now. J.B.

J B 22:18 08 May 2007

Just as a follow-up, called Netgear support and found out where I went wrong, forgot to put in the default number in the browser, told you all my mind is like a sive. Works as it should now. J.B.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?