New PC

sloan_5 13:20 26 Apr 2007

Hi when buying a new PC should I get the old Windows Media Center, Windows Vista Home Premium or pay extra to get Windows Vista Ultimate??

cheers

sloan

anskyber 13:29 26 Apr 2007

If you are a home user I think there is little point in going for the Ultimate version compared with the Premium. But have a look at the features and compare for yourself. click here

Home Premium comes with the media center bits of the old XP MCE so you are covered there.

sloan_5 13:43 26 Apr 2007

thanks....I guess the 'protect against hardware failure' 'data encryption' and 'fax and scan' could come in handy, but aren't life or death issues most of the time...

Kate B 14:46 26 Apr 2007

Go for Home Premium. I've got Ultimate and I don't really use any of its extra features - not even the moving wallpaper.

sloan_5 15:26 26 Apr 2007

actually, if Vista Ultimate can fax without my needing to get a phone line into the PC, by going over the internet through a broadband connection, I can see how that might sometimes be useful....

sloan

anskyber 15:44 26 Apr 2007

Interesting yes. I had assumed it was the software side of things, rather like the software which comes with scanners and faxes but instead built into the OS.

The final sentence of this extra information seems to leave the question open on how the fax is transmitted click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?