New monitor - picture does not fill screen - help

onthenose26 17:05 01 Sep 2017

Hi,

I have a new larger (27") monitor but windows does not fill the entire space and there is a black bar around all signs of the screen. The resolution is set to its highest. If I reduce the resolution, the screen is filled, but the text etc is larger, which is not what I need.

I have Windows 10. On my last monitor you could change settings on the monitor itself to fix this problem, but there are no such settings on this monitor.

I can't find the answer online as everybody just says to change the resolution, but I want the text small, but using the whole screen. There are suggestions online that the graphics card is the problem, but I have no idea if this is the case and can't see why it would be. Surely I should just be able to fill the screen? I think I have an ATI Radeon 3000.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:42 01 Sep 2017

What settings do you have and what make is the monitor? as it will have a recommended setting

BRYNIT 17:46 01 Sep 2017

What monitor do you have? Have you installed any drivers required for the monitor?

After reading CLICK HERE Drivers for your graphics card will be updated via windows update due to it age and this may be one reason you are having problems. Someone else may be able to give further advice.

rdave13 18:18 01 Sep 2017

You need to open the Catalyst Control Centre (It's called Crimson on modern APU's) by right clicking a blank space on the desktop. Once opened adjust the scaling mode. Nowt to do with resolution.

Info in this link.

onthenose26 09:23 02 Sep 2017

Thanks for the replies. It's an Asus VP278H. I saw the details about my graphics card not being supported anymore, but I didn't think the graphics card impacted on whether I could use the full screen or not. Would replacing the graphics card solve the problem ? I don't want to spend lots of money on a new card just to have the same issue.

Thanks again.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:10 03 Sep 2017

set to 1920x1080

lots of info for best settings click here

onthenose26 09:20 04 Sep 2017

Thanks again for the responses.

I don't have the CCC option and when I try to install it via the link, it says the software is already installed, despite not being available anywhere. Why would this be the case? I can't access any setting for the graphics card as the only options are Windows standard settings.

I also have the monitor plugged into a fairly average work laptop via the VGA and when I ctrl/alt/F3 on this it just fits the bigger screen and remains st the size I want!

rdave13 10:45 04 Sep 2017

I think you'll have to bite the bullet and upgrade the GPU. Hopefully it's a desktop we're talking about so I've looked around and the cheapest I've found is this one . Just for example only. You might find a cheaper one elsewhere. Comes with the software needed for Windows 10.

onthenose26 11:10 04 Sep 2017

Thanks. I have been considering doing this. It is indeed a desktop. My only concern is that this definitely solves the problem?

rdave13 11:28 04 Sep 2017

It should do as it supports Windows 10 and you will be able to adjust the scaling option. Otherwise I have no further suggestions I can make - sorry. You're running on Windows basic drivers at the moment, for your AMD/ATI chip, and have no options available. It's up to you really. Good luck.

wee eddie 12:09 04 Sep 2017

Just a thought.

While you have told us that you have W10 installed, you have told us nothing of your PC, its age, MOBO and original OS.

Perhaps that might be relevant.

27" monitors are large and earlier On-board graphics chips are unlikely to support them, as is a graphics card of the same generation

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017