need permission to delete or share files 2nd -pc

aine 21:02 09 Aug 2008

I am trying to share files with my other pc. Both pcs are set to share, when I click some files it tells me "I need permission". I am the administrator of both pcs, 1 runs vista the other XP home. Please could someone help, I have turned of UAC no difference. Many thanks for any help

Taff™ 09:21 10 Aug 2008

I assume you have password protected the user accounts on both machines - I think this is a pre-requisite for sharing on a Vista Machine. Which computer are you trying to access when you get this message? Are there other files in the same folder that you can access?

aine 14:13 10 Aug 2008

Neither machine is password protected. The pc with xp on is only used by my wife, The files I am attempting to share with her are ones that I find, that she can use for her card making. My main m/c is the vista one, from this I am trying to move the files to hers.It is this PC that the message appears on. Hope this answers your question. Aine

Taff™ 06:34 11 Aug 2008

Try two things. First put a password on each account on both machines, check that you have files and printer sharing set up and reboot them. Next move or copy the files on the Vista Machine into the Public Folder.

From the XP machine browse the network to the Vista machine and you should be able to see your files in the public folder. You will be asked to log in with the user name and password for the Vista machine and you can then move them from there.

aine 18:11 13 Aug 2008

Sorry for the late reply, I have been off my PC for a while. Your solution achieved that which I required. many thanks ,I will click this resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?