My Windows 8 laptop no longer recognises my admin password

RichardLipscombe 17:10 01 Oct 2014

Overnight my laptop no longer recognises my laptop admin password on start up. it was working fine on Monday, but when we came to use it yesterday it says it doesn't recongise the password any longer. i know that the password is correct, and that we haven't changed it but for whatever reason it will no longer accept it.

it is the only log in option we have on the laptop so we can't log in as another user and try and get round it that way.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how we can solve this issue?

Thanks in advance

chub_tor 18:21 01 Oct 2014

(1). Boot your computer and immediately press on the F8 key repeatedly until your computer displays the boot menu.

(2). With the arrow keys, choose Safe Mode and press the Enter key.

(3). On the home screen, click on Administrator. If you have no home screen, type Administrator and leave the password field as blank.

(4). Click on the Start menu in the bottom left corner, go in the Control Panel, then in User Accounts you can reset the user password

Jakce 07:54 02 Oct 2014

Maybe you need to reset password, do you have a password reset disk? If you have, things will be easy, just insert and follow the instruction. If you have no disk, you can use some Windows password recovery program to reset

Andier 05:16 22 Oct 2014

You forgot Windows password? I found this Advanced Windows Password Recovery software on Google, I don't know if it can help you

BT 08:10 22 Oct 2014

Do as I do and unless its absolutely necessary don't set passwords. We see so many posts about people forgetting passwords when in reality its really not necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017