My Pop3 won't work consistently

tnelis 11:32 18 May 2017

Help please...how can I get my Pop3 to work consistently?

It only works half the time, and BT won't help me. They give me the runaround with passwords etc...the usual nonsense.

I can see my webmail on btinternet. I use LiveMail on Windows 8.1.

I can't see the problem being my settings, because it does work sometimes, but not always.

I do not want to use SMPT, I want Pop3.

The BT servers is the problem...what can I do?

I've put a pic of the error msg also my account settings on this link: click here

alanrwood 14:23 18 May 2017

You seem a little confused about terminology.

POP means "Post Office Protocol" and is now in Version 3 so referred to as POP3. POP3 is the software which allows you to download your emails to your computer and store them there. (Just for completeness, IMAP is a protocol which also allows downloading your email but they are normally stored on the email IMAP server).

SMTP means "Send Mail Transfer Protocol" and is used to send mail from your computer to the smtp server.

Are you sure you have set up your pop3 settings correctly in your mail software program and your password is correct.

What email program are you using?

If your settings are correct are you sure you have a reliable and consistent internet connection.

Is your problem on a computer or a mobile phone.

alanrwood 14:28 18 May 2017

Sorry had not seen the pictures you posted which answer some of the questions above.

Sorry but never used Window Live Mail so can't help in detail. Also my old eyes can't read the writing very well. I would not have posted those pictures with my personal data still showing. Better to redact before uploading as this may prevent you from receiving lots of spam.

Secret-Squirrel 17:59 18 May 2017

tnelis, a couple of things that could work:

1) If your anti-virus scans incoming emails, then for testing purposes, disable that function for a while and see if that helps.

2) Change the POP3 server port number to 110 and untick the SSL option. The downside of that is that incoming emails will no longer be encrypted but if your PC is always at home then it won't be much of an issue. If however you use a mobile device that frequently uses free WiFi connections then it may not be such a good idea.

Don't forget to reply this time.

tnelis 09:35 19 May 2017

I've tried all this and nothing helps. Thanks anyway. Any more ideas welcome please.

rickf 13:24 19 May 2017

I think you have it wrong under smpt. should read something like [email protected] co.uk? not the same as in POP3.

rickf 13:25 19 May 2017

i mean btinternet.com NOT co.uk

Forum Editor 15:45 19 May 2017

Just to confirm for the record:-

The BT mail server address for both inbound (POP3) and outbound (SMTP) is: mail.btinternet.com

Secret-Squirrel 15:46 19 May 2017

I think you have it wrong under smpt.

Rick, no, the SMTP server settings are correct. The OP doesn't have any problems sending so they must be fine ;)

I've tried all this and nothing helps..........Any more ideas welcome please.

You may as well start by putting your POP3 settings back to what they were.

1) With windows 8 & 10, a lot of problems can be fixed by simply restarting the computer. Note that it's only effective when you choose Restart from the power options. Apologies for not suggesting this sooner.

2) If you're running a third-party firewall then temporarily disable it for testing purposes because it may be interfering with Live Mail's connection to BT.

rickf 20:53 19 May 2017

I stand corrected. In mine the two are different which seems logical to me. Anyway just my two bits worth.

Secret-Squirrel 08:58 20 May 2017

........ the two are different which seems logical to me.

It's not unusual for a server to host more than one service. It's done by using different port numbers which are a bit like doors in a house - if you want the bathroom then you enter through the bathroom door etc.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?