My Laptop is very unstable after reparations

Evy de Jong 18:14 11 Apr 2017

I have an Toshiba satellite S50D-A-10L which refused to start up 2 months ago. Since I had a warrant till my laptop was 3 years old, and it was a bit over 2 years old, it was send to Toshiba and they ended up replacing my motherboard and harddisk. After getting it back I had some trouble with Windows Update (it kept searching for updates, even after turning that feature off, making my pc crash either because of 100% disk usage or because of processor usage) The updates didn't seem to fetch correctly, but after one night of it searching, it said I needed to download 230 updates and that problem went away. What didn't go away, was the frequent crashing of Windows. It was given back to me "clean", except for the documents, music, photo's and videos and my download folder. I know for a fact it doesn't have virusses. (I had antivirus, and I checked it again with a different program) Now comes the problem, my pc freezes every couple of hours, for what it seems to me to be a graphic card issue (I use Photoshop quite a lot and it only crashes when that program, and my browser Opera are open.) It isn't slow before crashing, it just happens all of the sudden. At first it gave the message that my graphic system had crashed and was restored. I tried the fix with delaying that message via the registry, but it still happens, the message just doesn't show up anymore and my cursor will become unresponsive. I looked trough the registry with the fault codes and one that kept coming up was "the DTS APO Service-Service has crashed during startup". My pc worked fairly well before the Toshiba reset (it crashed every once in a while, but not like it is now). Any suggestions for how to fix this? It's jist weird because pretty much all of the hardware is replaced but it's even worse than before

Forum Editor 19:23 11 Apr 2017

"(it crashed every once in a while, but not like it is now)."

Nowadays computers shouldn't crash except in very rare circumstances. Which version of Windows is involved here?

wee eddie 20:00 11 Apr 2017

I have read through a couple of reviews and they are quietly complementary and say that the Toshiba Satellite S50D-A-10L is excellent for general Computing needs.

However if you are using Photoshop to manipulate large .raw, or similar, type files, I would say that it is grossly underpowered, which probably explains the freezes.

This may be at the heart of your problem

Evy de Jong 21:37 11 Apr 2017

It's running on windows 8.1. I forgot to add I added a 8gb prosessor card to it a half year ago. It now has a 16 gb prosessor. I'm tight on money so I can't buy a new PC anytime soon. Is there any way I can make this work and why would it get worse while it is on a clean system with partly new hardware?

wee eddie 22:37 11 Apr 2017

Surely you mean that you added an 8GB RAM Module. If that is identical to the RAM already installed. All should be fine. If different ~ Who knows

Archonar 23:00 11 Apr 2017

DTS-APO service is related to DTS studio sound, a software that I assume you are using. I don't believe that it is the issue, but if you want to get rid of that message go into the task manager> start-up> and disable DTS studio sound

Can you go into the event logger and see if there are any "critical" or "error" messages from the time of a crash. If there are screenshot it and post it here.

Evy de Jong 23:40 11 Apr 2017

That's what I meant, yes. Sorry, stuff can get lost in translation sometimes (I'm dutch)

Today, my PC froze at 15:33:32 and 11:03:04, at which I manually powered off (Only critical messages were from me shutting the system off that way, so I didn't take a screenshot of that)

The messages:

• The Ready-boot session ended. Errorcode 0xC0000188
  • A unknown problem occured in a local Bluetooth-adapter and it's not in use. The driver will be deleted.
  • The DTS-APO service-service froze during start-up
  • Can't make activation-context for Audacity (Which wasn't running?)
  • Synchronising pc licences failed. Resultscode 0x80070002

Yesterday my PC froze at 15:33:32 and 11:03:40

Again, the messages are in Dutch, so I'll translate them: - The PC restarted after a bugcontrol. The bugcontrol is 0xa0000001 (0x0000000000000005, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000). There is a dump file saved in C:/windows/MEMORY.DMP. (I'll look that one up too) - Again the message about Audacity, that's was not running at that moment. It says there is a fault in the manifestation on a rule. A version that's needed for the application is conflicting with another version that's currently active. - The other sidebyside-events say the same - Again the fault with the Bluetooth adapter - The readyboot session ended because of this error: 0xC0000188 - Again the message about failing to syncronise the PC-licences - Again the message about DTS APO crashing at startup - Again the message about Audacity

That's all the messages that occur before the crashes. Let me know if you need anything else. I also made a screenshot of my specs of my PC, I'll add that too.

wee eddie 07:06 12 Apr 2017

Well above my Paygrade, I'm afraid.

You've tried Starting in Safe Mode, I assume. I also assume that you have reduced the programs that boot at Start-up to just your Antivirus

Evy de Jong 09:06 12 Apr 2017

I haven't tried starting in safe mode yet, but I have looked at the programs running at startup and I changed my antivirus for a lighter running one (I had mcafee, which was horrible and now I have AVG)

rickf 11:54 12 Apr 2017

Perhaps reset your laptop and scratch? Make sure all drivers are loaded. Is it a 32 or 64bit system? Save what you want and reset is my suggestion. In the long run it may save you a lot of wasted time trying to put it right.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:49 12 Apr 2017

0xa0000001 is often associated with ATI?AMD graphics

I suggest you update your graphics drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)