My laptop keeps turning off whilst starting up?

isabellegiles 21:26 18 Apr 2015

My laptop is a Samsung series 7 chronos. Lately, it was running really slowly, so I re installed the software and it worked as good as new! But then, one day I tried to turn it on and it started up really slowly. Before it finished starting up, it turned off- then started up again, and repeated this cycle over and over again. I am hesitant to do anything that will overwrite my files on this computer as a have many important documents on there that I don't want to loose (I have no backup). What should I do? I'm in an urgent situation!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:39 18 Apr 2015

Make and model? age of laptop?

what operating system are you using?

Daisy_Michael 11:50 20 Apr 2015

OK, try pressing F8 or Shift + F8 (right after turning on your computer), try booting in Safe Mode (considering as if it's a Windows 8 or 8.1 based Laptop).

See if it's loading fine in Safe Mode & we'll move from here on.

robin_x 14:02 20 Apr 2015

In the meantime, the documents are safe enough on the hard drive inside.

It's the other parts of the laptop or Windows that has a problem.

Please also say how long before it shuts down? Anything displayed on the screen?

xania 15:10 20 Apr 2015

robin_x - I wouldn't be so sure that the documents are safe. At this stage, we simply don't know what's going on.

isabellegiles - As soon as you do get into to your system, first thing take a backup - then you can worry about sorting the problem. Better still, if you can get your hard drive connected to another laptop or PC via a caddy, get your backup sorted. (Unlikely, but if it is your hard drive that's on the blink, you could be in for a hefty bill or worse if a hard drive crash occurs)

robin_x 15:38 20 Apr 2015

Do you tell ill people they do look awful as well?

There are some common causes for continual reboots. HDD failure is low on the list.

xania 16:14 20 Apr 2015

No, but I do tell ill people top take the medicine

bumpkin 17:03 20 Apr 2015

All sorts of reasons could cause this. Look for a damaged port which could be causing the PSU to trip out, unlikely to be that but easy to eliminate.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:14 20 Apr 2015

I would expect from the symptoms describe

failing hard drive or overheat due to dust build up

won't know more til we get a reply from the op.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?