Moving from XP to Windows 7

chrisjmat 22:27 01 Apr 2014

Hi,

Advise please in which direction I should go?

Using XP mainly for some games I play, however realise that I should update my operating system so think i will go to windows 7 in the hope that some of my games may play in "XP" mode. My motherboard is an MSI P45 neo3 and I believe it will support Win 7. So thinking if I partion my drive and install Win 7 on the new partion, will have the option of still booting into XP and playing games. (I presume if I install wind 7 I will have to reinstore the MSI drivers to?)

However motherboard is 4 years old so also thinking replace with newer board and CPU as this will have usb3 ports. (my pci slot is currently covered by my video card. If i go down this route suggestions on which motherboard I should opt for.

Advice would be welcome

Thank you

C

chrisjmat 15:02 02 Apr 2014

Many thanks for this advice and encouragement.

Which mobo CPU & Ram are you using plse, as it seems to like old games!!

C

wee eddie 16:02 02 Apr 2014

I successfully upgraded from XP to W7 and my MOBO is 8 years old, at least, the only thing I couldn't upgrade was the Sound.

I bought a USB Sound Card for less than a tenner, problem solved.

MuDelta 16:13 02 Apr 2014

Hello wee eddie When you upgraded, how did you choose your W7 seller? There is a bewildering number of sellers offering things like "refurbished" versions etc. What is safe to buy remembering the importance of price?

wee eddie 17:39 02 Apr 2014

I bought a new HDD and some spares and then an OEM copy

chrisjmat 20:12 02 Apr 2014

Thank you

chrisjmat 20:15 02 Apr 2014

Can't seem to run Windows 7 adviser, as cannot install network progs needed to run it on XP. So not sure what way to go? Playing silent hunter 3, Shogun Total Watr and combat mission currently?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?