Moving photo's "Date taken" into its EXIF data

Jojikiba 10:08 08 Dec 2007

I have input "Date taken" info in some photos in my "Pictures" folder.

Is there a way I can automatically copy that "Date taken" data into the JPEG's EXIF data?

anskyber 10:17 08 Dec 2007

Is it not already there, right click the pic, properties and details tab? Or have I misunderstood your question?

Jojikiba 11:09 08 Dec 2007

OK I found a way to do something similar, which is use that "date taken" data to rename the jpeg file.

1. Download a trial of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom at
click here
2. Once you’ve installed the application go to File>Import photos from disk
and import all your photos.
3. Click on the row of photos and the bottom of the screen and press control + a to select them all.
4. Go to Library>Rename photo and under “File Naming” select “Date-Filename”
5. That’s it! I’ve been wanting to find a way to do that for ages, it’s like scratching an itch!

P1d 12:19 08 Dec 2007

Not too sure if it does what you want it to do but I use Microsoft's PhotoInfo available if you click here

A very good tool available from the right click menu, saves opening up other software which can hog your machine.

Hope it's useful.

P1d

Jojikiba 12:41 08 Dec 2007

Thx I will check it out.

By the way, I made in mistake in my earlier post. To get your photos into Lightroom go to Library>New Folder and then select your photos.

Jojikiba 02:06 09 Dec 2007

ok

hssutton 21:46 12 Dec 2007

As anskyber mentioned the "Date Taken" is already embedded within the images exif.

Lightroom is essentially a "Raw" convertor with it's own database (collections) As you input and process your files these can be allocated a label, such as month, wildlife,landscape, or my holiday etc.

Subsequent additions can be simply dragged into a suitable "Collection"
All these Titles are listed down the lefthand side when in library mode.

A simple mouse click will then bring up all images within that collection, which renders the "my Picture" folder redundant.

However if you are only shooting in Jpeg then Lightroom is a little overkill, easpecially at £170 and also considering tyhat such as picassa is free.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017