Move Users Folder To Another Drive

tamsin 12:09 24 Oct 2010

I followed the illustration in a previous posting for this subject, provided by Mike, and 'moved' my folders to D:\. am confused to see that they are now in 2 locations - ie still on the C:\. When I go to C:\ prompt and call up DIR for D:\ it tells me there are no files there, although I can see them in Explorer.
Can I just delete the folders on the C:\ or am I going to cause a problem doing this (hidden system files within the folders???). Should I only delete the actual files?
Can anyone advise me please.

GaT7 14:44 24 Oct 2010

Moving Users appears a bit of a convoluted process from click here - is this the way you moved it?

Also from the above link: "The only quirk is that accessing the Users folder from the C: drive (for example) appears as C: when it's actually on D:."

Best thing to do is to manually back up C:\Users for the time being before deleting its contents. G

GaT7 15:38 24 Oct 2010

That's true, so only delete the folders & files you created. G

tamsin 15:37 25 Oct 2010

Thanks for advice. I am going to try this method and have read through the instructions Crossbow7 suggests. Only thing I am not sure about is (FAILED column = 0)?
Do I type that after robocopy /copyall /mir /xj E:\Users D:\Users
I will make sure I only delete the folders I have created at the end of the move.

GaT7 15:55 25 Oct 2010

Why will you be trying another method when you have already done it? "I followed the illustration in a previous posting for this subject, provided by Mike, and 'moved' my folders to D:\"

If it has been done successfully, then you may be accessing files on D:, while it's only appearing to be from C: - see the 2nd paragraph of my 1st post.

That's why I suggested backing-up C:\Users. Then start deleting some files in C:\Users, while trying to access them as normal. If the deleted files are still accessible, then Mike's method would have worked. But don't take it for granted - keep deleting C:\Users contents while verifying whether you can still access the deleted files/folders. G

tamsin 10:22 26 Oct 2010

Thanks Crossbow7 - I am moving in an area that I am not completely familiar with, so forgive me if I sound like a dumbo! Will back up and start deleting to see if everything is OK. Many thanks for help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires