Mouse problem in Windows 7

jaimie 18:36 29 Mar 2010

I have clean-installed Win 7 HP on my two acer dektop PC's. Both work fine except that sometimes the mice on both machines (cordless but different makes) stops working and nothing else will work not even CTRL Alt & Del. I have to do a hard switch off and on again until the next time. Odd that both machines have the same problem. Both have 3Gb of mem and oddles of HD space. Anyone suggest what the problem might be please?

Regards

James

chub_tor 18:54 29 Mar 2010

Have you tried going to the mouse manufacturer's website to see if they have Windows7 drivers?

jaimie 18:56 30 Mar 2010

Hi Chub-tor, yes both systems report the mouse driver as up to date, one is a Microsoft mouse and the other is Logitech, I'm just wondering as the comp is completely un-responsive when it goes like this, it may have nothing to do with the mice at all.
Regards

James

chub_tor 17:59 31 Mar 2010

If nothing works inclucing Ctrl, Alt, Del then it sounds as if it is a processing problem and that for whatever reason the CPU is running at 100%. Try starting up the Task Manager when you first switch on so that you can see the CPU running in the taskbar and when your mouse and all else stops working you should then be able to find out what is happening with the CPU.

I had a very similar problem on my daughter's laptop after I converted it to Win7 from XP, it turned out to be the 19,000+ emails that Windows Live was loading while also trying to run Microsoft Security Essentials. Trimming the emails fixed it.

jaimie 18:46 31 Mar 2010

Thanks for this, I will try it to see what happens. It's not happenned for two days now so it micht have correctted itself with windows auto update.

Kind regards

James

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache