missing partition after upgrading to 8.1 - please advise me

tnekus1990 13:55 02 May 2015

Good morning all,

I have had my asus vivobook s200e for around a year now and I have never had any problems.

the machine came with windows 8 already loaded and then I was advised to update to 8.1 via the laptops store, which i did. I can no longer do a factory reset due to a missing partition, I have used a partition finder but do not actually know what it is i am supposed to do or what it is i am actually looking for.

I am just going round in circles, do you have any advice for me as I want to reset my laptop.

any help would be great

thank you

robin_x 14:09 02 May 2015

Press Windows key+R and type diskmgmt.msc

If you take a screenshot,save as jpg and post a link, say via postimage.org, we can see too and advise.

robin_x 14:14 02 May 2015

Is the Vivobook supposed to be F9 at boot, same as Asus Notebook?

tnekus1990 14:55 02 May 2015

Hi,

Yes f9 would be the way to reset but when doing this process it then tells me the required partition is not available.

here is the screenshot -

click here you

http://s6.postimg.org/gbxefftdt/screenshot.jpg

thank

robin_x 15:14 02 May 2015

Yes. I just been reading up, I realised my mistake

That 20GB Recovery partition on the right is the correct one. (It should be W8 and all the asus pre-installed stuff you got)

=-=-=

It's an incompatibility between Factory Reset Image for W8 and 8.1

You can only Reset back to W8 with the USB Recovery Drive key/stick you should have made when first got the laptop.

If you haven't made one, try making one from within W8.1 (it should use the correct W8 image mentioned above)

=-=-= (I wrote this bit earlier, ignore for now)

If not, you could get W8 from here with your License key and burn to USB Flash (It won't include the pre-installed Asus software or drivers though)

Then you'll have to update to 8.1 again.

=-=-=

If you have a 32GB Flash drive, I think it is possible just to copy the 20GB Recovery partition to it. (Might need to set it Active)

Download and Install Minitool Partition Wizard Free to do that.

If you don't have 32GB Flash, the 20GB will hopefully boot if Set to Primary, Change Letter (any free letter) and set Active with Partition Wizard

=-=-=

Last resort is the clean W8 I said to ignore for the moment

robin_x 15:15 02 May 2015

(I wrote this bit earlier, ignore for now)

should read

(I wrote next bit earlier, ignore for now)

robin_x 15:19 02 May 2015

In Partition Wizard, check which Partition shows as Active before making any changes and make a note of it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:21 02 May 2015

You seem to have several recovery partitions

900MB / 450MB/ 20GB

DO NOT touch the first one 300MB

Right click the 900 and select Assign drive letter see if anything appears on it once it has a drive letter

robin_x 15:30 02 May 2015

It's this guy who says the 20GB is the right one.

But his method is slightly askew from the 'doesn't work comments'

I forgot this link, earlier on making the standard Recovery Drive. I don't know if it will complain of missing partition or not.

Settings > Search > Recovery drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?