Migrating just OS to SSD

JDodger 12:41 05 Mar 2015

So I want to speed up my system a bit by installing a 120GB SSD and moving my windows 8 os onto it, problem is the guide I foudn for it, the calculation says I'd need 500GB drive and I can't afford that, how can I move just the bare operating system and programs like Word and Chrome whilst leaving all my games and bigger programs on the Main 2TB drive?

chub_tor 16:33 05 Mar 2015

One solution would be to use Paragon Migrate OS to SSD Software - you will have to Google it as PC Advisor thinks the link is Spam

If you want to do it the hard way you will need to create a new partition on your existing drive, migrate all the files you want to keep (docs, music, pics etc.) to the new partition then use cloning software to clone the smaller partition with your OS and Programs on it to the SSD via a USB caddy. Put the new SSD in the PC and adjust the BIOS so that it now boots from the SSD. If you want you can then later delete the partition on the old drive that contained the OS and the programs.

You might also want to Read This

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:48 05 Mar 2015

Far better o do a clean install of windows on the the SSD

however that does mean you need to reinstall your programs, which can be installed to the same folders they are in now. if you are using the same drive but as a data drive

i.e were in

c:\program files\name of your program

now d:\program file\name of your program

this often means you do not lose any saved settings or games etc.

chub_tor 19:06 05 Mar 2015

*Fruit Bat /\0/* I do agree with you about a clean install, that would be my preferred way to go. Unfortunately a number of users that I have helped often don't have the disks or downloads to reinstall the programs they currently have on their hard drive.

robin_x 19:33 05 Mar 2015

Tricky, but this might be worth looking at.

No idea if it will work.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone