Microsoft viewers for Word and Excel (Vista)

marble 17:55 16 Nov 2007

I have been trying to understand the Microsoft site.

I only have MsWorks version 8 and often get .doc or .xls e-mail attachments and need to be able to read them.

The 2003 versions of Word and Excel Viewers say they are for XP not Vista.

There seems to be a Compatibility Pack for Ms Office 2007 applications but I am not sure if that is what I need - the wording didn't really explain if it would simply let me see older Word and Excel docs.

click here

I would be pleased if someone could advise me please?

Thanks.

BurrWalnut 18:37 16 Nov 2007

The file extensions for Office 2007 are now four characters long, click here

Here is the compatibility pack for older versions click here

marble 19:34 16 Nov 2007

Thanks very much for such a rapid response BurrWalnut.

I have read those links before but I wasn't convinced that the Compatibility Pack was what I needed just to view .doc and .xls files when I don't have Word or Excel installed - it talks about needing Word 2000/2003 etc and Service Packs and previous Word Viewers and seems to be a converter rather than a viewer.

Besides which it says it is for Win 2000 / Server2003 / XP - hence the reason I wasn't convinced it was what I needed for Vista.

Just wondering if anyone with Vista uses viewers for Word and Excel?

mammak 20:23 16 Nov 2007

I hope I understand you correctly forgive me if I have got this wrong!

I am presently using Office 2007 and can open without problem Office 2000 Excel, Word, and Access files on Vista

I have Microsoft Works Version 8 on another Laptop and could always open the same files in Works 8

although I have not tried to open Works 8 files on Office 2007 on Vista but I don't see a problem with this as Office 2000 files open without a problem

if you wish I could try this out for you but it wont be till the beginning of the Week though

by the way I have not used any viewers.

marble 16:04 17 Nov 2007

Thanks very much Mammak

Well - in a nutshell - as I said, I only have Works 8 on the machine - no Ms Office or Word or Excel software is installed on my machine.

If someone e-mails a .doc or .xls file to me I can't open them to see the contents.

I have no software on the system that will open these file types.

My Ms Works 8 won't open them.

I can create my own wordprocessor files and spreadsheet files in Works and save them with the .doc and .xls extension if I want to, but if I send those files to my son (who also only has Ms Works on his machine) he can't open them either.

On one of my previous PCs I had Ms Word viewer installed and was looking for an equivalent that will work with Vista.

As well as a Ms Word viewer I rather hoped I could find a Vista-flavoured Ms Excel viewer too.

I just want to be able to see what the contents of .doc and .xls files are when someone sends them to me - I don't want to do anything else with them.

Does anyone else with Vista only have Works installed? Have you been able to open .doc and .xls files?

BurrWalnut 16:24 17 Nov 2007

Here's the Word viewer click here

The other viewers are links at the bottom of the page.

marble 17:51 17 Nov 2007

Thank you BurrWalnut that looks like what I am looking for.

The 2 viewers say they are for

Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP

I am guessing that perhaps Vista will not object to them?

BurrWalnut 19:18 17 Nov 2007

If I remember correctly there is a largish update to all of them.

To get it, go to Start > All Programs > Windows Update and at the middle/bottom of the screen select 'Other Microsoft updates'.

marble 19:33 17 Nov 2007

Thank you so much! - I will check that out very shortly.

marble 19:35 17 Nov 2007

marking as resolved

marble 12:39 20 Nov 2007

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?