Memory Usage

biteblue 11:01 16 Apr 2007

Hi,

I have 1GB of RAM which according to vista and the way in which i use my PC is very good. However, according to the sidebar Memory usage widget i am using 93% of avalible RAM. After startup it is about 80%. I don't have a lot of startup programs and cannot see why so much of my RAM is being used. Can anyone shed any light on my problem?

I have found that Vista is in itself a memory
hog. Forgive me for this and I know someone will be able to be more acurate but XP used to be able to run fully in around 750 Mb of Ram.

Vistas total is much higher and it has alot to do with aero. If you are using Premium or Ultra with the aero interface the Ram usage is jacked up considerably higher than the more basic versions of Vista without the aero interface.

I run 2 Gb of DDR2 and my Ram usage is higher
than I would like, saying that game performance has not really suffered from my point of view.

Memory is pretty cheap now and a couple of Gigabytes of good quality DDR2 can be had for just over £110 for 2 x 1Gb modules. I would fill up with as much as you can afford.

Pine Man 19:07 16 Apr 2007

'I would fill up with as much as you can afford'

That's exactly what I did and then found out that Vista 32bit cannot read more than 3GB!

See my thread click here

skidzy 19:37 16 Apr 2007

Vista requires at least a gig of ram to run effectively but 2 gig is recommended,i believe it can be run on less but not if you want to mutli task.

As above turn off the Aero feature for now till you get more ram.I have 2 gig installed and have no problems at all,though i do not play games.

If you are using your sidebar,disabling this will free up some ram.

Check in MSCONFIG to reveal how many startup programs you have running in the background.

Also have a look in task manager to see what is hogging the resources.

gazzaboy 19:44 16 Apr 2007

I use 1gb ram and when using itunes for example and on line at the same time it struggles to keep up.I have also been recommended to up grade to 2 gb ram

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?