Memory query and Windows 7 Pro 32bit

Happy37 08:49 06 May 2010

Hello everyone

I am running Windows XP Pro 32 bit on my Pentium 4 PC with a 3.2 Ghz processor with 2GB RAM.

All has been running well to date, and I am looking to change and run Windows 7 Pro 32bit in the near future.

My query is this:-

I have currently got 2GB of RAM in the PC, namely this piece of kit:-

click here

I have just received another kit of the same version as per the above link. I want to see if I can upgrade the RAM to 4GB to run Windows 7 Pro 32bit. Both kits are the same.

Please correct me if I am wrong on this, but can Windows 7 Pro 32bit support 4GB of RAM or not?

I seem to think that it can - my motherboard is an Asrock P4V88:-

click here

According to the Asrock website, Windows XP can only recognise 3GB to 3.5GB of RAM due to the 32bit limitation in Windows XP.

What I have tried to do is so far is this:-

I have tried to run both of the kits together in Dual-Channel Memory mode to see if the motherboard recognises 4GB of RAM.

This did not work - the PC booted up OK, but there was no display on the screen. I then removed one kit to just leave 2GB of RAM, and then the PC rebooted just fine.

I then removed the old 2GB RAM kit and put in the new kit to see if the new kit was OK or whether it was defective.

The PC booted up fine with no complaint at all.

So, why doesn't the PC boot up with both kits inserted in there to make a total of 4GB of RAM? - is there anything that I am missing here, or that I haven't done to get this to work?

Or is it simply that Windows 7 Pro 32bit has the same problem as Windows XP Pro 32bit in recognising the full 4GB of RAM in the PC?

Or is this a motherboard limitation as well? – will a BIOS update help at all or not?

Or will I have to change any settings in the BIOS for the full 4GB of RAM to work?

So, having read this, what can you all suggest that I do to get the memory to work, please?

Please also note that the Pentium 4 processor is a 32 bit one, and not a 64 bit one. Would it be easier to just get the processor changed, and is this easy to get done?

All responses welcome - apologies for the long post...I just thought of giving as much info as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Happy37

Pine Man 09:27 06 May 2010

No 32bit operating system can utilise more than 4GB RAM, which means that once your system memory, graphics etc has been taken into account the most you are likely to see is about 3GB.

Happy37 09:32 06 May 2010

Pine Man

Thanks for your comments - I know that circa 3GB of RAM will or can only be seen by the 32bit operating system, but can you please explain whay the above setup does not work?

Even though there are 4 of 1GB RAM modules in the PC, surely Windows XP or Windows 7 can still see 3GB, if not the full 4GB?

Thanks again...

bremner 09:37 06 May 2010

Being pedantic.

Apart from Server 2003 & 2008 Enterprise 32 bit that is.

Happy37 09:43 06 May 2010

OK then, I have got a copy of Windows 7 64bit Pro that came in the same box as Windows 7 Pro 32bit...am I right in thinking that I cannot install the 64bit version on a Pentium 4 processor that is 32bit, can I?

How can I tell whether I am runnning a 32 or 64bit processor?

Why does my system not start up properly with the 4 1GB RAM modules in there?

Thanks again.

bremner 09:47 06 May 2010

No you can not run a 64 bit OS on a 32 bit system.

Go into Device Manager and click the + next to Processor.

How does it not start up properly?

Happy37 09:51 06 May 2010

bremner

Thanks for your reply - I have mentioned that:-

"I have tried to run both of the kits together in Dual-Channel Memory mode to see if the motherboard recognises 4GB of RAM.

This did not work - the PC booted up OK, but there was no display on the screen. I then removed one kit to just leave 2GB of RAM, and then the PC rebooted just fine."

Any thoughts?

Thanks - your comments will be most welcome.

bremner 10:01 06 May 2010

From what I can see is there is no reason why when you insert all 4 sticks the machine should not boot.

With all 4 in do you get any BIOS beeps on booting up.

You could try reseating the sticks to make sure they were in properly.

Happy37 10:08 06 May 2010

bremner

Thanks for your comments - Yes, I'm stumped too - I cannot also see why the machine would not boot when all 4 RAM sticks are inserted.

No, I don't get any BIOS beeps on booting up with all 4 sticks inserted. I normally get 1 beep when the PC works normally and when all is OK (with 2GB of RAM).

I will try and reseat the sticks in case they were not inserted properly in the first place.

Thanks again - any more thoughts, please?

I will keep you posted.

Regards

Happy37 10:11 06 May 2010

I should also mention that the PC works OK when I try the 2GB RAM kits separately.

Each kit works ok like this, it's just that the PC does not boot into Windows when the kits are used together to make or give a total of 4GB of RAM.

Further comments will be most appreciated.

Regards

Coltch 11:46 06 May 2010

Does the manual for the motherboard say anything about memory configurations?.

Some motherboards don't accept 4 x double sided DIMMs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017