Memory

Pugster 15:28 22 Jul 2007

Has anyone heard if Vista was going to update to allow more than 3GB of memory? When I built Smoothie, (my pc), I just assumed I could put 4GB's of RAM in not including the memory on my graphics card, ect. so that's what I did. I put 4 sticks in at 1GB ea. so I can't take just one out but am hoping Vista will make a change.

crosstrainer 15:56 22 Jul 2007

It's rumoured to be in Vista's SP1 don't yet know the release date for this.

Probabilitydrive 16:04 22 Jul 2007

That indeed would be a useful update in SP1. Vista currently allows only 3.5GB of RAM to be used, although you can fiddle a bit click here
click here

It never ceases to surprise me -on my Vista 32-bit, 2GB RAM system- to only have between 0 and 28 MB (physical memory)available at any given time. Compare that to an XP taskmaster reading

crosstrainer 16:59 22 Jul 2007

Trouble is, when we upgrade to 8gb, Vista will still hog it all, and page the hdd to death. Might be an interesting thread that, my hdd light rarely goes off on the Vista rig.

Pine Man 19:13 22 Jul 2007

I have spent a lot of time researching this problem and, although lots of sites give instruction on enabling PAE, this actually makes your system less efficent.

If you have bought 4GB RAM keep it all installed in matched pairs until Microsoft resolves the problem. If you do not have your RAM loaded in matched pairs DDR dual channel will be disabled.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?