Manual internet configuration?

wizza68 20:16 20 Mar 2007

Help...I am in limbo.

I am bought myself a Vista PC and see my ISP does not yet support this. Is there a way of manually configuring the PC to connect to my ISP without using their installation disk, which does not work.

I am with Blueyonder, now Vigin Media.

I still use my old PC which is on it's last legs, hence the new purchase. I want to start using my new PC but it just sits there reminding me that there is no network connection.

Kate B 21:02 20 Mar 2007

It's the USB modem that your ISP doesn't support - what it means is that there are no Vista drivers for it. If you've got a bit of cash left over, I suggest you get yourself an ethernet cable modem/router like click here - it plugs straight into the PC and doesn't need any drivers.

Jimmy14 21:54 20 Mar 2007

Phone up Virgin Media and ask for a Ethernet modem which is free and they will send you one out.

wizza68 22:05 20 Mar 2007

Thanks. I already se it with the ethernet modem that I got from blueyonder.

I tried plugging that into my new PC but it didn't recognise the network it so thought that I needed to make some configuration settings on the new PC to use it.

De Marcus™ 22:07 20 Mar 2007

If you have the Webstar modem check it doesn't already have an ethernet connection. The DPX100 model does but Telewest had a few different models in their collection.

De Marcus™ 22:08 20 Mar 2007

Sorry missed your last post, turn off both pc and the modem, turn the modem back and perform a master reset via the pinhole reset button on the back. Give it a couple of minutes and then switch your pc on.

De Marcus™ 22:10 20 Mar 2007

If that doesn't solve the problem, check you have the correct cable, you should be using a straight through type and not a crossover type.

wizza68 22:18 20 Mar 2007

Thank you to everyone for your help. I am typing this from my new pc.

The trick of powering off the modem has worked.

Now I just need to configure Windows Mail and find time to transfer all my old data.

Once again many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?