Malware or Virus?

Goozzie 11:24 20 May 2014

Hi all, I am new to this forum so forgive me if I make mistakes. My problem is that I have got a virus or a piece of malware on my machine. When I open up chrome to surf I find that each and every site I go on the computer screen goes grey and wont return to normal until I click the left mouse button. Also there ar words on every site that are coloured green and underlined twice that when my mouse pointer moves over them I get a pop-up. I have McAfee installed with ADWcleaner, ccleaner64 and Malware bytes anti malware. Using these makes no difference. I am running win7 64 with an i7 cpu and 24gb of ram. It has been suggested that this malware/virus was installed with another program bu I cannot find anything unusual in Revo uninstaller and the normal windows add and remove programs. Before I tear my hair out (I am bald by the way LOL) by reinstalling windows has anyone out there got any suggestions. The pop ups seem to be run by a company called On-line Advertising Support but I cannot find anything to uninstall from them.

Thanks in advance

Goozzie

john bunyan 18:40 20 May 2014

I assume you have seen this:

Remove On-Line Advertising Support

Goozzie 23:37 20 May 2014

Yes I have and had no success with the instructions. BUT I tried again running in this order... ADWcleaner JRT Malwarebytes anti malware Malwarebytes mbar Hitman Pro

and hey presto it worked gone is the adware. I would like to know where it came from in the first place? After running ADWcleaner it deleter my VPN - Hotspot Shield, but I downloaded the free version from click here the official site. I will download and install it again and see if the results are the same. Hopefully Hotspot Shield will not be the adware carrier. Thanks for your help it was much appreciated

Regards

Goozzie

Goozzie 23:47 20 May 2014

You will all be pleased to know that it wasn't Hotspot Shield that was the culprit and now I have no idea where it came from

Goozzie

john bunyan 09:22 21 May 2014

Glad you solved it

wiz-king 11:20 21 May 2014

H Goozzie Glad it's working now. Please can you 'green tick' on the reply that helped you most (you should see grey ticks by each reply and when you click on one it will turn green), this shows that your problem has been solved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017