Locked in restart cycle

waiteylad 09:28 20 Apr 2007

I bought a new zoostorm 3305 versatile pc with vista from pcnextday

On first power up I get locked in a restart cycle with the message

"The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows click OK to restart the computer and then restart installation"

I was supplied no vista discs.

I am probably going to try to reject it and get a refund, unless the problem is easy to resolve.

Please help!

anskyber 09:32 20 Apr 2007

If it is that new then your thought about rejection is the correct course.

waiteylad 09:40 20 Apr 2007

Well it was delivered yesterday, so yes legally I would have a good case to reject.

Its just the hassle of getting PC Next day to agree this, then arrange collection, wait for them to inspect it, then probably say theres nothing wrong, or I havent returned everything, and then theres the wait for the refund to my card....

I suspect if i had the vista discs i could sort it, but as they havent sent these I am stuck....

Blitzer 12:47 20 Apr 2007

>Its just the hassle of getting PC Next day to agree this, then arrange collection, wait for them to inspect it, then probably say theres nothing wrong, or I havent returned everything, and then theres the wait for the refund to my card....

I would not thought they would have a leg to stand on TBH. If the item has just been received by you and found to be faulty the first time you tried to use it, then there's clearly something wrong.

I did intitally think you would be covered by the distance selling act (something like that) that give you the right to return something purchased online (and mail-order?) within 7 days regardless of reason. However, I think this may only apply if the item has not been used. Either way though I say contact them right away and say you either want the item replaced at no addional cost to you or a full refund including postage.

waiteylad 13:05 20 Apr 2007

The Distance Selling Regulations allow consumers to inspect goods for 7 working days after the date of delivery, during which they can cancel. There is no legal requirement for them not to be used (although most companies try to make out everything has to be still in sealed boxes)- the whole point of the Regs is to allow consumers to try things out to see if they are suitable, and if not send them back. In this case return carriage is paid by the consumer.

However in cases where goods are FAULTY, rather than you simply changing your mind, the Sale of Goods act applies - and you have a short time to reject goods outright and claim a full refund - including all carriage costs.

Im having to be come an expert in consumer law just to sort this out!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache