Locked out of my desktop...HELP!

bajanshorty 13:41 29 Jan 2015

I have a desktop which I have not used for a while. i now need to use it to print off work however i have forgotten my password to access the computer despite the 'hint', I am unable to reset it through Administrator as that has a password and is also restricted. What can I do???? HELP!

lotvic 18:40 29 Jan 2015

You could start by telling us the Op System.

polymath 13:35 30 Jan 2015

Any luck, bajunshorty?

Can you get into Safe Mode without entering the password? (For me (with Packard Bell computer, Windows Home Premium), Safe Mode is via repeatedly pressing F8 early in the booting process, which gets a keyboard-controlled menu including Safe Mode. Or F5 used the same way might possibly go direct to Safe Mode).

If so, you might have the option of either deleting your account & creating a new one, or getting to the Startup programs list (e.g. via running the command msconfig, or via Device Manager - System Configuration - Startup. If there's a ticked item there related to User Account Control (or the equivalent in whatever your OS), untick it & try restarting (re-enabling it later if it's a good thing in your case).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?