Locating COA licence details on new W8 laptop?.

spuds 16:51 07 Jun 2014
Answered

I have recently purchased a new Lenovo G700 laptop with W8 pre-installed. It came with very limited information, no bootable or original operating system disc, and no COA sticker etc.

I have made purchasing arrangements for three books on W8, plus a bootable disc via Amazon and eBay, which i should receive next week.

Checked the battery and laptop, which connected straight away via wireless router, and it would appear that Microsoft then took over, installing various items.

I know things have changed with the non-supply of manuals or discs nowadays, but how do I gain access to the COA details for future reference. I don't fancy making any mistakes at this early stage?.

spuds 18:05 07 Jun 2014

One hour - 39 views - and still no answer?.

Things must be very quiet out there :O(

rdave13 18:30 07 Jun 2014

First thing to do is to create your return to factory discs/ usb flash drive. In this link, google list , check the third in list which is a PDF of a guide to the G700. There's a section about Onekey backup. I don't have a Lenovo but the PDF is quite good.

rdave13 18:33 07 Jun 2014

This might help further if the same on your G700.

rdave13 18:40 07 Jun 2014

Also you're better off creating a Microsoft account, ie Outlook.com email, and use that as your main admin account. You'll get access to all the tiles. If you've created a local admin account then I'd leave that on as a backup. Always good to have two profiles on a PC in case of a profile account corruption.

rdave13 18:49 07 Jun 2014

Once you've created your recovery disc have a look here, F8 safe mode which is a godsend if you happen to install a bad driver.

Let me know if I'm rushing you ;)

spuds 19:18 07 Jun 2014

rdave13

Thank you for coming to my rescue yet again, much appreciated.

I have downloaded and printed the User Guide, all 42 pages of interesting material.

The second link information on the one key was also downloaded and printed. I don't fancy the 2-3 hours plus a big potion of patience to create the disc though!.

I often wonder why manufacturer's stopped supplying the disc, surely the cost of these disc would not amount to much in bulk, perhaps saving very little, except the patience of the computer or laptop buyer?.

Thank you once again. Just leaves finding the COA number now?.

rdave13 19:24 07 Jun 2014

I don't think you'll find it.

I use a hard drive in a caddy and use Paragon hard disk manager (paid for version) to simply create an image every now and again. With the software you burn a Paragon (Linux) CD that you boot to whenever you need to reinstall the image or change the drive in the event of a hdd failure.

spuds 19:24 07 Jun 2014

Just notice your further post. When I ran the laptop for the first time, Microsoft gave the option for creating an account. Not sure what I did now, but Microsoft seemed to have accepted it. I think the account was directed through my usual email domain, and not Outlook or Hotmail, which i believe were offered as an option! :O)

rdave13 19:29 07 Jun 2014

Just check that all the tiles work, you should be ok if your email was accepted. I'd still create a local account (admin) just in case.

By the way 2 to 3 hrs and some patience is a small price to pay for a total restore medium that you can use on a new drive if the old one goes belly up.

spuds 10:41 10 Jun 2014
Answer

I have just ordered two re-install disks, and the seller as offered to send me the software that should find COA licence details.

If any further information becomes available , after I have received the above, I will post as necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?