Local only - No connectivity?

scarlett_rose 04:19 10 Jul 2007

My sister has a sony vaio with Windows Vista. This laptop cannot connect to the Internet since last month, before that it worked properly.
I don't know why it always has IP begin with "169." while the IP of the Netcomm router is "192.168.". (for both wireless and local network connection)
I try to release thi IP but receiving a message " the operation needs elevation".
When I assigned IP manualy, the connection is just "local only".

I have a IBM laptop, it can connect to the internet through the Netcomm router above but with manual IP, it means I cannot use DHCP to assign automatic IP.

Please help me!
Thanks a lot

rawprawn 07:41 10 Jul 2007

Has your sisters Vaio got a firewall other than Windows Vista Firewall, if so try it with that disabled.

mgmcc 07:46 10 Jul 2007

If you assign IP addresses manually, can you 'ping' the router's IP address and can you open its configuration pages by entering its IP address into your web browser?

If you can, then you should have internet access even though Vista says Local Only. In any case, if using both adapters to connect to the router, only one will show as connecting to the internet.

<<<I have a IBM laptop, it can connect to the internet through the Netcomm router above but with manual IP, it means I cannot use DHCP to assign automatic IP.>>>

Is the router's DHCP server actually enabled in its settings?

rawprawn 07:50 10 Jul 2007

Also look in Control Panel/Network & Sharing/Manage Network Connections and make sure the LAN is showing Network cable unplugged

Ashrich 08:26 10 Jul 2007

To release the IP in Vista , go to ...start/programs/accessories/command prompt , right click and select " run as administrator " then you will have the necessary privileges . Sounds like a reboot of the router is in order after checking whether DHCP is enabled but it is not giving IP addresses .

Ashley

scarlett_rose 09:26 10 Jul 2007

I cannot ping the router's IP address
The vaio see the wireless network with warning "unidentified network".
I tried to release IP address as Ashrich said but receive "the IP has not yet associated with the endpoint".

Ashrich 23:48 11 Jul 2007

Have you tried a full reboot of the router , holding a unbent paper clip into the little hole on the back , for about 20 to 30 seconds . When you take the pin out the router will go through it's set up routine again , and re-synchronise with the exchange , hopefully you should be able to log in to the routers set up pages and re-enter all your login data and actually connect to the internet , then try connecting through wireless again , first , and just to test , try it without any safety encryption and no firewalls , if it works try adding WPA security , if that's Ok restart the firewall .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?