Links to the internet in programs don't work?

Zac Humphreys 17:08 20 Apr 2017
Answered

My internet works fine, i can get on Chrome, FF and IE but in programs and apps links to external internet sites don't work. I click on the "link" and legit nothing happens. Eg 1. A link to a video on YouTube sent on Skype, i wont be able to click on the link and directly take me to the video. Instead i have to copy and paste the link into a browser. Eg 2. I tried to renew my security program and on the program it says "Renew Now" but when i click it nothing happens (its meant to take me to their site). Someone please help as this as been a constant annoyance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 20 Apr 2017

Sounds as if you need to check your Firewall settings to allow the particular programs access to the internet.

Zac Humphreys 17:18 20 Apr 2017

How do i do this? I looked at my firewall and they all seemed to be good. This problems happens to every program on my pc.

Secret-Squirrel 18:09 20 Apr 2017

Zac, your problem could be caused because Windows can't open any links because it doesn't know your default browser:

Head over to Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> choose your preferred web browser from the list on the left -> "Set this program as default" link -> OK.

It sounds like you're running Windows 8 or 10, so for good measure, click the Windows power icon then choose Restart.

Zac Humphreys 19:17 20 Apr 2017

I am on windows 10. I have already tried this and just tried once more but still no change.

Zac Humphreys 19:29 20 Apr 2017

I have now tried setting Firefox to default and links work fine so it seems to be only chrome that doesn't work. Is there a reason for this? and if so how can i fix as i am very fond of chrome.

Zac Humphreys 19:33 20 Apr 2017
Answer

I have reinstalled Chrome and this a resolved the issue.

Zac Humphreys 19:52 20 Apr 2017

I also had to uninstall a program called "Overwolf".

Secret-Squirrel 20:49 20 Apr 2017

Thanks for the updates.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

iPhone X review

Political cartoons in 2017: Chris Riddell, Rebecca Hendin and Dave Brown on what it’s like to…

The best iPhone for 2017

Tennis : comment regarder la finale de la Coupe Davis 2017 ?