Links to the internet in programs don't work?

Zac Humphreys 17:08 20 Apr 2017
Answered

My internet works fine, i can get on Chrome, FF and IE but in programs and apps links to external internet sites don't work. I click on the "link" and legit nothing happens. Eg 1. A link to a video on YouTube sent on Skype, i wont be able to click on the link and directly take me to the video. Instead i have to copy and paste the link into a browser. Eg 2. I tried to renew my security program and on the program it says "Renew Now" but when i click it nothing happens (its meant to take me to their site). Someone please help as this as been a constant annoyance.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 20 Apr 2017

Sounds as if you need to check your Firewall settings to allow the particular programs access to the internet.

Zac Humphreys 17:18 20 Apr 2017

How do i do this? I looked at my firewall and they all seemed to be good. This problems happens to every program on my pc.

Secret-Squirrel 18:09 20 Apr 2017

Zac, your problem could be caused because Windows can't open any links because it doesn't know your default browser:

Head over to Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs -> choose your preferred web browser from the list on the left -> "Set this program as default" link -> OK.

It sounds like you're running Windows 8 or 10, so for good measure, click the Windows power icon then choose Restart.

Zac Humphreys 19:17 20 Apr 2017

I am on windows 10. I have already tried this and just tried once more but still no change.

Zac Humphreys 19:29 20 Apr 2017

I have now tried setting Firefox to default and links work fine so it seems to be only chrome that doesn't work. Is there a reason for this? and if so how can i fix as i am very fond of chrome.

Zac Humphreys 19:33 20 Apr 2017
Answer

I have reinstalled Chrome and this a resolved the issue.

Zac Humphreys 19:52 20 Apr 2017

I also had to uninstall a program called "Overwolf".

Secret-Squirrel 20:49 20 Apr 2017

Thanks for the updates.

What is Markdown?

Markdown lets you add more formatting to your post. Simply type in your post and it will display as written.

If you wish to add bold or italic characters, add a hyperlink to another website, a heading or a horizontal line, simply use the relevent icons above the text input field.

A preview of your post will appear in the grey box below. If you make a change and you're not happy, simply press the back arrow icon to undo.

Post a Reply

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?