Legal Office Use Need to Know

legal 17:16 05 Dec 2007

1 atty got Vista. Rest of us cannot open MS Word docs. If we all upgrade need to know 1) can i merge docs with Access 2) does it run table of contents & table of authorities 3) can i still use keystrokes to view windows (alt + tab) can i still drop all menus with keystrokes? keystrokes to view menus & change screens improves speed -- very much faster than mousing. Need to know asap before further "improvements." I have been in business long time. Few improvements -- if it sells to management (who can't indent a paragraph or add a repeating header in Excel) then it's considered a success. Nobody asks the schleppers who actually have to produce docs under deadline. Takes me 1 month to customize my apps w/new version. Everything seems to be designed for the new and/or slowest, least competent user.

anskyber 17:47 05 Dec 2007

What on earth are you on?

Forum Editor 17:55 05 Dec 2007

for the new and/or slowest, least competent user."

Well of course it is, and if you were a software designer that's precisely how you would make it - you do not make money by designing mainstream software applications that require people to be professionals before they can use them.

Your question isn't comprehensible - what do you mean "Rest of us cannot open MS Word docs"?

If you have MS Office installed on your computer you can open Word documents. You can also open them in several other Office applications, but that's got nothing to do with Vista, which is an operating system, not a word processor.

You say you need to know:

"can i merge docs with Access 2) does it run table of contents & table of authorities 3) can i still use keystrokes to view windows (alt + tab) can i still drop all menus with keystrokes?"

But you don't explain what this has to do with Vista.

Provide us with more information, saying precisely what it is you want to do, and which software you're using, or planning to use, and we'll help, but try to separate questions about Microsoft Woord documents from questions about Vista - they aren't really related.

legal 18:22 05 Dec 2007

My mistake. I thought "Vista" was name for new version of MS Office. The docs produced by the new computer are not compatible with the rest of the office documents. The extions produced is: *.docx. The rest of us cannot open them. We cannot exchange files with the new computer. We were told we were all upgrading to the new version. That being the case does anyone know about the version?

legal 04:55 06 Dec 2007

Thanks for response. Found appropriate site. LOL at your response ... just like our IT guy: deer staring into headlights. I'll just buy all the books & get ready.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?