Laptop shuts down not restart

phil328 12:54 01 Feb 2014

My Acer Aspire 7530 shuts down when I select restart. Is there a fix?

rdave13 23:30 01 Feb 2014

Don't use Acer but it could be a power problem I think. Does it shut down on battery only or does it also do it when connected to the charger?

northumbria61 10:36 02 Feb 2014

I don't have a solution at the moment but you are nor the only one with this problem - Restart Shuts Down My Computer

northumbria61 10:40 02 Feb 2014

Another question - is this just a recent thing or has it always been like this?

phil328 13:56 05 Feb 2014

Hi and thanks for your replies.

I read the item as suggested and tried it out but it did not work. There is no battery fitted to my laptop, I use it on mains only and the no restart thing has been happening for only a few weeks - the laptop is a few years old.

I have just noticed during the latest restart attempt that when the laptop switches off, if I just press the power button to restart, the machine switches off again immediately. If I then give a longer press, the machine starts but only gets past the first logo screen (a few seconds) and then freezes on a black screen, there is no indication that the machine is switched on except for the number lock light.

The only way to reboot the machine is to unplug it from the mains, leave it for 10 or 20 seconds then it will boot as normal. Am I missing something here?

Laupsavea 13:58 04 Jun 2015

Was this ever resolved. My 7530 has always done this despite several windows OS upgrades. I gave up trying to fix it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?