Laptop says it's connected to [nameofmywirelessnetwork]2

GarrettBurrell 15:01 28 Apr 2014

I have a Dell Latitude D630 laptop that runs Windows Vista. For the last few months I've had a strange problem connecting to the internet that has gotten much worse over the last few days. I can always connect to my wireless network (for the purposes of this question we'll say that it's called [nameofmywirelessnetwork]) and for a few hours or, lately, a few minutes, everything will work just fine. Then I'll lose connection to the internet. When I look to see if I'm still connected to my wireless network, I see that my laptop says I'm connected to [nameofmywirelessnetwork]2. I don't have a wireless network that ends in a 2, my computer hasn't saved a network that ends in 2, and no one else in my apartment building has named their network [nameofmynetwork]2. If I disconnect from the network and then reconnect, everything is fine again for a while. Any ideas now what could cause this problem and how I can fix it?

Secret-Squirrel 09:22 29 Apr 2014

A few questions for you:

Is your laptop using an external USB wireless adapter?

"my computer hasn't saved a network that ends in 2"

Did you check for this in Control Panel -> Network & Sharing Center -> Manage wireless networks? If you didn't then have a look there.

Are you letting Vista manage your wireless connections or are you using a third-party utility?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?