Laptop recovery partition + reinstall Windows 10

qwbos 21:35 18 May 2017

I've wasted an inordinate amount of time trying to repair Windows Updates, so I think I'll bite the bullet and do a clean install of the Creators Update.

At the same time, I thought I'd be as well getting rid of the recovery partition. The laptop came with 8.1 so I'm assuming there's little point keeping it. I've already downloaded all the drivers from the manufacturers website.

This is the first time I've carried out this sort of operation on a laptop, so is there anything I need to extract from the recovery partition?

rdave13 23:27 18 May 2017

If you have all your drivers and don't need any of the manufacturer's bumf then no. You most probably wont need any of the drivers you've saved but a good move though. Might be easier if you have the OS on a DVD, if your laptop has an optical drive, but a bootable flash drive works. This tutorial is good , especially the section that shows Custom: install Windows only (Advanced), then delete all partitions until you have one unallocated space.

qwbos 01:28 20 May 2017

rdave13

Thanks for the reply. I was 99% certain I could dump the recovery partition, but as I've never had one to deal with before, I thought a second opinion wouldn't hurt.

Very smooth installation process with Creators Update. Seemed easier than the many previous 10 installs I've done, and MS did all the drivers during the installation or immediately after during the update cycle.

Only problem I had was changing the boot order. Took a bit of time to suss out the drive wouldn't show without a disc loaded.

rdave13 02:47 20 May 2017

Optical drives won't show unless you reboot with a DVD loaded in the drive. DVD optical drives are 'readers' and 'burners' only. Nowt put in then nowt put out.

alanrwood 09:03 20 May 2017

Or go into Windows Explorer\View\Options (at the far right end of the Menu Bar) and select the View Tab. Untick "Hide Empty Drives". You can also select to show all file extensions etc on the same tab.

qwbos 11:24 20 May 2017

Don't have that problem with any of the desktops. Changing the boot order has always been straightforward.

The empty optical drive on my desktops are in clear view.

alanrwood - then Change Folder And Search Options, View, Untick 'Hide Empty Drives'.

But on the desktop I'm on, it's ticked, and the drive still shows.

Anyhow, laptop's done and healthy again.

Forum Editor 16:02 20 May 2017

Moved to the Windows Help forum from Tech Helproom.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

Black Friday Deals for Designers & Artists: Adobe, Apple, Corel Painter, Microsoft Surface, Wacom &e…

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires