Laptop not starting or running properly

Never again 07:17 22 Apr 2008

My friend has an acer aspire laptop 5633WLMi which he bought as a display model at PC World 6 months or so ago.

He has limited pc knowledge and thought he got a good deal, but the laptop does not seem to be working normally.

It’s running windows vista premium, but has no shut down or restart options on the start menu – only switch user, log off and lock, and he has been turning it off by holding down the power button since he bought it.

This means that it never boots cleanly into windows, it shows the acer splash screen , has a scrolling green bar, and then does the welcome to window screen and then does these three over and over again.

He always has to F8 and choose last good known configuration to boot into windows, but I'm not sure who told him this, as he is a novice?

He has tried to install a printer recently, but it never reboots and remembers the installation?

His hard drive is partitioned into C and D drives, but I can’t see any obvious windows recovery partition and he had no disks given with the laptop.

On my advice he has already run sfc in safe mode and has come up with no errors?

He has now brought the laptop into work where I can run a few suggestions from you guys, in the meanwhile, I’m going to run sfc again to check for my own benefit.

Your suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Ashrich 08:33 22 Apr 2008

It sounds like it is running in a limited user account , as it would in the shop , to stop people abusing it , probably would be better to wipe clean and start again . I would imagine it has a COA on the bottom , so it could be done from any Vista disk , I believe they have all the different versions of Vista on them . The Acer website would have all the necessary drivers needed so they can be downloaded and to hand before any formatting and reloading .

Ashley

anskyber 09:17 22 Apr 2008

Try a Startup repair?
Start up repair Vista with the Vista DVD.
click here

Without the disc and If Startup Repair is a preinstalled recovery option on your computer.

click here

Then expand the section "how do I use Startup Repair?"

anskyber 09:52 22 Apr 2008

Just out of curiosity, why didn't he just take it back to PC world if it has displayed these symptoms from the beginning as you post suggests?

Never again 10:30 22 Apr 2008

Update.

I have started it up (by using f8 and last good configuration) and created a new user account which does have the restart, shut down, etc options - so Ashrich's suggestion was spot on.

I have not restarted it yet to see if this will resolve the start up problems, as i suppose the shop windows configuration could be set up like that to prevent customers meddling.

It does have a COA on the bottom and has done all the Windows updates, etc and has service pack 1 installed.

I will try the start up repair option in a mo and report back later.

I suggested at first that he take the laptop back to the store, but he said that he felt embarrased, and wasn't confident that they would fix it, which is why I suggested that this forum would be the next best option.

As far as the drivers are concerned, I can't remember what I did with my acer laptop - I think you make a recovery cd from the built in utilities, but I can't remember exactly how?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Never again 11:16 24 Apr 2008

Start up repair wasn't able to repair the computer automatically.

The laptop is now on a startup cycle which gets to the user name welcome screen and then goes through the start up routine again and again.

Never again 14:10 24 Apr 2008

I am currently doing back up disks from the Acer eRecovery Management application included with the laptop, including drivers and applications and a factory default disk.

Its then my intention to do a full system recovery, so any suggestions would be gratefully received please.

Never again 21:55 24 Apr 2008

I reinstalled windows and all the programs, etc and everything seems to be ok now.

I'm now doing all the updates, etc.

Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?