Keyboard as Game Controller?

Imcc 11:27 03 May 2007

Is it possible to install a usb keyboard as a 'game controller' on vista? I would really appreciate some help. Thnx in advance.

Kate B 11:30 03 May 2007

All computer games are played with the keyboard and mouse - I'm not quite sure what you're trying to achieve. You can map keys and functions within the game itself.

Imcc 12:33 03 May 2007

well, I play this game on my computer that has an ability to allow multiple players on the same machine simultaneously. It's just that when I go to the settings, it allows me to configure 1 keyboard and up to 8 'gamepads' which are available for computers also. I have a spare keyboard that I use through USB. Instead of buying a new gamepad, I would prefer to use my other keyboard for the second player.

The problem is that the game does not recognize the second keyboard, but it would if I could get Vista to think of it as a gamepad.

Kate B 13:12 03 May 2007

ah, I see. That's a good question - have you done any Googling?

Imcc 13:49 03 May 2007

yeah I have...it's hard enough to get technical vista stuff, but I even couldn't find anything for xp and pre. There are many software out there to do the reverse (use gamepad as keyboard/mouse), but all of them employ custom drivers.
I was hoping if I could spot the generic gamepad drivers in vista, then maybe I could force them upon my USB keyboard and try, since both the devices have very similar input methods. But I don't really know how to search for a lone driver. Any ideas?

Imcc 04:58 17 May 2007

So nobody thinks it's possible?

Ontrack 10:58 17 May 2007

So nobody thinks it's possible?

Provide a fast, easy means to connect two keyboards,
two mice, or two monitors to a single port. They install without opening your computer,
using software already on your system. Y-mouse custom adapters connect, convert,
and interpret a wide range of input devices.

May be worth a look at click here

Now what happens after connecting adapter I have no idea and would it serve your purpose?

:)

Imcc 21:22 17 May 2007

yeah, I looked for keyboard adapters and found similar stuff. Thank, I will try it out eventually. I don't know if it treats the keyboards as one then or still 2 since they both might send different IDs to windows, but I hope it is 1.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?