Just upgraded to win8.1 A few questions..

simonsup5 17:17 17 Oct 2013

Hi just done an upgrade from windows 8 to 8.1 from the windows store, All went ok just took a long time, now I have 2 questions 1, There is a folder now in C drive called windows old it is 9 gig!! Can I delete it safely or does it have to stay?

2, How can I burn this new 8.1 to disk as I can not seem to find the 8.1 download anywhere?

Thankyou.

chub_tor 19:18 17 Oct 2013

Windows.old contains all your User information carried over from your previous Win 8 installation. It was put there in case the installation went wrong so you would not lose all your data. When things have settled down and I am comfortable with the new 8.1 it is my plan to uninstall it. In the meantime I consider it a useful extra backup for a week or so and I am planning to leave it for a while. You may also find this from Microsoft to be useful.

As far as I know there is no 8.1 download site so that you can save it and burn it to a disk, if you find one let us know.

rdave13 19:57 17 Oct 2013

The best way to remove win old. folder is via the disc cleanup. Run disc cleanup twice and on the second run you should have the old folder available for removal.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone