Just been to Vista training last week

Johnnie_M 17:32 31 Mar 2007

Hi all,

I've work for a very large retailer who happens to sell PCs, Laptops and Vista...anyway

Got to the training (run by Microsoft in London)

- The introduction went something like this

"Anyone had any problems with Vista?"

Half the room raise their hands

Drivers seemed to be the biggest thing, from Virgin Media broadband to HP printers...to cut a long story short Microsoft just shifted all blame back to the manufacturer.

I perked up with, aahh but if people hadnt upgraded to Vista then there would be no problem....silence....blah blah blah PR blah blah.

Anyway, there demonstrations wouldn't work to my amazement one of the trainers said "you know how computers are"

I thought the whole point of Vista was that computers would be less like this?

Then after the 3 sessions, the only one I was impressed with was the media centre extender...one of the other attendees says "well I've put Vista on my Mac"

The Microsoft trainer is amazed and says "can you do that? put a Microsoft OS on a mac?"

I can honestly say I have been hugely underwhelmed by Vista to the point I have just purchased an iMac 20" after 10 years of building and being a keen enthusiast of the Microsoft domain.

Forum Editor 17:52 31 Mar 2007

who are nervous about Vista, but not everyone.

In the first month of its release more copies of Vista have been sold than in the first two months of Windows XP's life. That doesn't mean that Vista has captured the hearts of the computer-using public, it's far too early to say that, but it does mean that early Vista sales have exceeded expectations.

Think back to the early days of Windows XP and you'll remember all kinds of driver-related issues. It's more or less inevitable, given the huge variety of hardware devices available, and the considerable ammount of work involved in developing new drivers. Some makers are faster at it thanothers, and some just don't bother, on the basis that they'll release a new, Vista-compatible device anyway, and they want the market to migrate - cash-flow is king in the consumer-electronics industry, because development costs are so high.

Kate B 18:13 31 Mar 2007

"Microsoft just shifted all the blame back to the manufacturer"

Well, yes - the blame for incompatible drivers lies with the manufacturers of the hardware, not with Microsoft.

Johnnie_M 18:33 31 Mar 2007

I take your point Kate B, but Microsoft being as large as they are, should check compatibilty.

I was around when XP came out and seriously there was no where near as many problems the main one was software modems.

anskyber 18:44 31 Mar 2007

Yes but even since XP the PC and software market has mushroomed. MS could not with any sense of realism check everything nor do I expect them to check everything.

Johnnie_M 18:47 31 Mar 2007

The largest software company in the world release the "biggest thing since 95" two years late, and you dont expect them to check things like HP all in ones and a huge amount of ADSL usb modems?

Their own Zune player didnt work on launch! Also a media centre extender they released didnt work either...these two examples came direct from the microsoft offices!

I would expect a little more

Kate B 18:52 31 Mar 2007

No they shouldn't. It's up to third-party manufacturers to be compatible with the OS, not the other way around. As anskyber says, even if they wanted to, they simply couldn't check every peripheral.

anskyber 19:04 31 Mar 2007

You expect a little more. I think you expect the impossible.

Have you ever considered how many different software programmes and pieces of hardware there are out there. A simple thought would give you the answer to the reasonableness of your demands.

Beta testing is done for so many different reasons and it does include the chance for folks like HP to get things right. I do not have HP kit and from my reading I am mightily glad I do not given the seeming lack of drivers available for their kit.

HP and all the others cannot claim to have been surprised by Vista. Instead they have either taken the view that the cost of preparing new drivers was not worth the cost even in customer care terms or it,s a more cynical approach to encourage people to buy new kit.

Johnnie_M 19:16 31 Mar 2007

Let me remind you that I am responsible for selling Vista and the equipment that is preloaded with it.

All I have had is reps from HP and everyone else saying "our stuff works with Vista"

I am the one to take it in the neck when a customer brings back their laptop that I have sold them ensuring (due to information I have been given by manufacturers) things would work.

Microsoft and 3rd party partners offered no support when things go wrong to us, they simply said "things wont go wrong" So you begin to trust the confidence they have...only to be let down with no one to turn to and your own company taking the responsibilty

sunny staines 21:21 31 Mar 2007

offer them a free downgrade to xp.

Forum Editor 23:24 31 Mar 2007

to do the job that hardware manufacturers should be doing. In fact, Microsoft works very closely with major manufacturers to try to get them to develop hardware drivers in time for a new operating system launch. Unfortunately not all companies want to play ball, and there's not much Microsoft can do about it.

As far as selling new computers is concerned, the retailer is liable if things don't work, and it's up to the retailer to make sure that any promises or undertakings given to customers are fulfilled.

New computers, with an OEM operating system installed must work before they're sold. It's the manufacturer's job to make sure that happens, but if the machine is then sold to the consumer by a retailer it's the retailer who must accept liability.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?