I've got cold feet - convince me to upgrade!

Babou 00:57 18 Jul 2007

My Acer Aspire 5630 (XP Media Centre version) came with the "free" upgrade to Vista Premium. There are two stickers on it - above the screen it says "Windows Vista Premium Ready", while by the keyboard it says "Designed for Windows XP, Windows Vista capable".

I've gone through the hoops and obtained the upgrade disk. I've run the Vista upgrade adviser. But I'm hanging back ... I've read so many arguments for and against, I can't decide.

My laptop runs just fine with XP, and maybe "Vista capable" means it wouldn't run so well with an upgrade. On the other hand, I'd like to learn more about the new OS. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it. On the other hand, wow, Aero looks so cool!

So, come on you Vista fans, talk me into upgrading!

rawprawn 08:54 18 Jul 2007

I had some doubts about Vista when I first got it, but now feel totally at home. It is cool, stable, and helpfull. My advice would be to move forward with the times.

Probabilitydrive 09:03 18 Jul 2007

They'll warm your cockles :)
click here

Pine Man 09:35 18 Jul 2007

Please don't take this the wrong way but it is pointless posting this sort of question here.

I am 100% in favour of Vista and have had no problems with it. However you will find literally hundreds of posts from three or four people vehemently opposed to it ;-)

For what it is worth my advice is to try it. You can make your own mind up then. It might be appropriate, for peace of mind, to back up your hard drive using Ghost or True Image first then you can always recover your original set up. If you haven't got either Ghost or True Image now is a good time to get it.

anskyber 09:49 18 Jul 2007

How much RAM does it come with? It says up to 4 GB here click here but what is the standard installed RAM?

crosstrainer 11:09 18 Jul 2007

2gb of ram to run that laptop with Vista....I have left my aspire on xp mce for now, It's Vista ready with 2gb of memory, but I have too much important stuff on it to upgrade yet....Going to wait for sp1 and then might take the plunge.

Kate B 11:16 18 Jul 2007

Go for it - though do a clean install, not an upgrade. click here

Babou 12:12 18 Jul 2007

Some good advice there, thanks all! I might just throw caution to the wind and upgrade. Though I have "only" 1Gb of RAM and might have to look at beefing that up. (I can remember when 1Gb was your hard drive ... I don't think my first computer even HAD a hard drive!)

Thanks for the suggestion of Ghost/True Image, Pine Man, I'll look into that. I've got a portable hard drive big enough to store it.

I think I'll have to do a clean install anyway, Kate B - the drive is FAT32.

Cheers, everyone - wish me luck.

anskyber 12:18 18 Jul 2007

The drive has to be converted to NTFS for Vista. Yes upgrade your RAM, it will work with Vista but 2 gigs is better particularly since you are sharing RAM with the video card.

Babou 12:25 18 Jul 2007

Yes, I know about the NTFS conversion - I was quite astounded when i realised my laptop was FAT32, why label a computer "Vista capable" when it's got the wrong disk format? Crazy.

Pine Man 13:18 18 Jul 2007

Good luck - let us know how you get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?