is it illegal to borrow .....

woofwoofbark 08:40 19 May 2007

..... another person's Vista Home Premium installation DVD ?

I have a computer with hidden recovery partition but no recovery DVD/cd's , so would it be ok to borrow (if needed) a friend's vista DVD and then use my own activation key?

cheers for any info!

Kate B 10:46 19 May 2007

that's fine so long as you use your own key.

Forum Editor 11:06 19 May 2007

Every Vista DVD has the ability to install any version of Vista without a product key. If you do install the software without a key, you have a 30 day grace period to enter a valid key and activate the operating system.

i have a compaq pc it came with no disks at all but i had the option to make them (which have been used many times!)
im stating this because if you borrow a vista dvd, you would lose any other bundled software, if any you had with your pc, in my case m/s office, norton ghost and plenty of others.
i could them remove the hidden partition to free up room on the hard drive.
adam

Totally-braindead 14:45 19 May 2007

I will bow to the others knowledge of the subject. I was under the impression that it was the same as XP in that regard, you could use anybodys copy of Vista for reinstallation/repair of your windows as long as you used your own product key and not someone elses.
I'm glad they have confirmed that my impressions on the subject were correct.

woofwoofbark 12:35 20 May 2007

Does anyone know if its possible to buy a Home Premium Installation DVD , one that comes without an activation key included ???

or ...

would it be ok to make a copy of a friends so that I can have my own copy ?

It seems frustrating to have to by a DVD with activation key when I already have my own key that came with the computer.

Thanks again.

why cant you make a recovery disk?

woofwoofbark 13:04 20 May 2007

I dont know how !

I know there is a hidden recovery partition.Is it possible to access these files and then copy them to DVD ?

Sorry , Im very new to this.

np. what is the make and model of your pc?
i recovery patition is pretty safe, i think the only problem you can have is if the drive dies or if like me, you want to remove it for a little extra space.
post the pc details and will see if i can help.
adam

on hp/ compaq:
start>> all programs>> pc help and tools>> recovery dvd creator

woofwoofbark 13:20 20 May 2007

Its a Zoostorm Computer , Im not sure how to find the model number ??

Intel Pentium D Dual Core 925 3.0Ghz processor
1Gb DDR2 533 memory
160Gb hard drive with 8mb cache
16xDVD +/- RW double layer
Microsoft Windows Vista Premium Home

The space that holds the recovery partition isnt a necessity as I have a Toshiba 160GB External USB Hard drive connected also.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017