Issues with Windows 10 10041 build upgrade

brooksy85 02:19 21 Apr 2015
Answered

I upgraded to Windows 10 build 10041 a couple of days ago and I have regretted it since. I want to go back to Windows 8.1 but all my restore points have been deleted (?) and when I attempt to use the roll back option in Windows boot mode it says that there is an error and it cannot continue.

After trawling the internet for hours looking for a solution i decided the best idea was to reset my laptop, this was only up to 49% after 36 hours. So I manually shut down my laptop which is working but still working but using Windows 10 build 10041!

Can anyone please advise me on what to do? I am at a total loss...

Thank you!! :)

Forum Editor 08:10 21 Apr 2015

Transferred to Windows Help from Tech Helproom.

robin_x 09:45 21 Apr 2015

Restore points are not usable after upgrades (there is a new, different Registry)

Download W8 or 8.1 depending on what your computer came with and what License key you have.

Howtogeek article and links

Backup your files and folders first, but you might get to keep them.

Run the W8/8.1 setup.exe after booting into W10 for an In-place Upgrade

Otherwise, it will be a clean install by booting the newly created media

robin_x 09:54 21 Apr 2015

If you like experimenting, making a System Image to an external USB Hard Drive is a good idea.

It's like a bomb-proof Restore Point or your own Factory Restore, exact snapshot of system before you start tinkering.

It's a good regular backup method tool, since nothing can be forgotten

click here

brooksy85 02:06 22 Apr 2015

Thank you everyone. I am going to back up all my data and do a factory reset... What a pain in the a*&! Lesson learnt.... ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone