Internet Security Software Options for Vista

Blitzer 23:42 28 Apr 2007

Girlfriend has just got a new laptop with Vista Home Premium which came with a 60 day trial of Norton Internet Security pre-installed. Although Norton works fine, we're keen to switch to something less bloated and resource hungry when the trial ends.

I use AVG Free and ZoneAlarm Free on my XP desktop PC which I'm quite happy with. However, I see ZoneAlarm is not yet Vista compatible and the other half would prefer an "all-in-one" solution like Norton. Having looked at the AVG website we see they do such a package, but I've no idea how good the AVG firewall is?

Although free software is nice it's not essential and the AVG option works out quite cheap - the package covers 3 PCs for 2 years (works out about £8 a year per PC).

Anyone here have experience of the AVG Internet Security Suite (home version) or know if it is any good? Failing that any recommendations for other alternatives?

Pine Man 14:19 29 Apr 2007

Internet security suites are really down to individual choice. Most seem to do what they say on the packet BUT some make hard work of it and slow down your PC. I have tried many and eventually settled for Bullguard v7, which appears to work very well indeed.

Don't worry too much about firewalls as Vista has a two-way fire wall, which will keep you reasonably secure and if you use an ethernet modem/router you will have another firewall.

James1947 15:34 29 Apr 2007

I have the AVG + Firewall paid for version and it works a treat. As a combined option I would recommend it, but as Pine Man says it's usually a personal choice.

Blitzer 20:56 29 Apr 2007

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

James1947,

Are you also using Vista?

anskyber 11:06 30 Apr 2007

For a few years I used Zonealarm security suite. I found it easy once set up and it seemed to work just fine. It's quite difficult to make informed decisions when reading reviews of things like security suites for all sorts of reasons. All I can say is ZA has been regarded as one of the best and in one, ahem, other mag sits as the best buy.

ZA is not yet Vista compatible, although a beta is out at the moment. So when I changed to Vista 3 months ago I tried AVG free and Avast free to tide me over. In the end I settled on Avast and I am using the Vista Firewall and Windows Defender for the spyware etc. So far so good really, in fact I'm content with the set up and when ZA does come out I am not sure I'll change, we shall see.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone