Internet explorer stopped working permanently!.

barryoneoff.co.uk 16:08 23 Dec 2013
Answered

I've had the message a few times in the past "Internet Explorer has stopped working" but it went back to normal when opened again. This time, I cannot get it back. I can run it without add-ons, but as soon as I open it again I get the message. I have uninstalled it and re-installed it (10 and 11) but still no good. I did send a shortcut to the desktop for the run without add-ons, which works every time (without add-ons) but as soon as I put it in the task bar and reopen it I get the message. Any ideas?

rdave13 18:18 23 Dec 2013
Answer

In the no add-ons state open tools - internet options - advanced tab - click on restore default settings tab, apply ok. Close and reopen in no add-ons mode again, go to internet options - advanced tab - click on reset tab click reset. Close IE and reboot. See if that helps.

Secret-Squirrel 08:34 24 Dec 2013

" ........."Internet Explorer has stopped working"..............I can run it without add-ons, but as soon as I open it again I get the message."

If you'd like to discover the exact cause of your problem then look at the advice I gave on this thread regarding using Event Viewer. When you find the relevant information, paste it here and wait for further instructions.

barryoneoff.co.uk 09:11 24 Dec 2013

Thank you rdave13. That did the trick.

Secret-Squirrel 11:23 24 Dec 2013

Barry, resetting IE is akin to using a sledge hammer to crack a nut. It works fine but it also disables/deletes all your useful and essential add-ons and toolbars. Make sure you re-enable the important ones - especially those that are related to security.

rdave13 15:41 24 Dec 2013

Secret-Squirrel , just reset IE 11, all add-ons there. Shockwave, Site-advisor still enabled and Avast online security still disabled. Easy list tracking protection still enabled, all favourites intact just enabled a couple of toolbars and that's it. Took a minute. However barryoneoff.co.uk's had problems and reset and reboot worked. Noticed your other thread and that seemed to be using a sledge hammer to me.

Secret-Squirrel 16:36 24 Dec 2013

Dave, I was simply pointing out to the OP to check his important add-ons after doing the reset. Just to be certain, I just tried the same as you and all my security add-ons were disabled by the reset. There's more information here from Microsoft about what changes are made, especially the bit that says "Toolbars, browser helper objects, and browser extensions are disabled".

"Noticed your other thread and that seemed to be using a sledge hammer to me."

Event Viewer showed that Avast was the cause of the problem, the OP removed it and the problem was resolved. How would you have tackled that problem that wasn't caused by an IE add-on but was due to a corrupt AV installation?

rdave13 16:58 24 Dec 2013

I'm not sure the AV was corrupt but that Avast's online security isn't very compatible with IE at the mo, so I would have made sure they were disabled. If they refused or showed they were then I'd have reset. I don't care about the info on the Microsoft site as I run my browsers as lightly as possible. I had to re-enable the McAfee site advisor tool bar, re-enable command bar, favourites bar etc and changed the favourites favicons to icons only. All my Tracking protections were still enabled and also my search providers were exactly the same. As I said it only took a minute.

Secret-Squirrel 17:44 24 Dec 2013

"Avast's online security isn't very compatible with IE at the mo, so I would have made sure they were disabled."

Decreasing the security on a user's computer isn't something that I would ever consider.

If Avast is really so incompatible with IE then I'm sure we would have seen more problems reported.

"As I said it only took a minute"

Yes, I agree it doesn't take long at all to re-enable things. However, there's a chance that when Barry starts doing the same, his problem will return because nothing's actually been fixed.

Secret-Squirrel 18:05 24 Dec 2013

...........and I forgot to mention that a quick look in Event Viewer would have probably identified the specific faulty add-on and removing it or re-installing it would have easily fixed the problem.

rdave13 18:49 24 Dec 2013

It's only the Avast site checker we're talking about not the AV.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Les meilleures enceintes Bluetooth à moins de 150 euros