Internet Explorer has stopped working

tony-guitar 22:29 10 Dec 2013

Grrrr. This error box has recently started appearing. My pc is 18 months old running Win7. This error box seems to appear every time I go to either Google or Bing (not tried any others). I've tried disabling all 'add-ons' as suggested in another mag, but not yet 're-setting' IE. I believe I have IE11 and this error box seems to coincide with a Windows update around the same time. Is there a cure please? I really don't want to change my browser.

tony-guitar 23:43 10 Dec 2013

The other mag's fix for IE's problems suggested using the 'Reset' option toy suggest but there was a warning '!' sign when i tried, so I came out of it. I'm not that confident when it comes to 'digging'.

tony-guitar 23:44 10 Dec 2013

The other mag's fix for IE's problems suggested using the 'Reset' option to suggest but there was a warning '!' sign when i tried, so I came out of it. I'm not that confident when it comes to 'digging'.

tony-guitar 23:20 11 Dec 2013

I had to go through all the palarva of re-finding all my favourites when I bought this pc, so I'm not too happy about having to do it all again. Windows had 11 updates last night for Win7 but none fixed this problem. It must be something to do with IE11 as I've not had this problem before.

Secret-Squirrel 12:52 12 Dec 2013

"Internet Explorer has stopped working...........This error box has recently started appearing"

Tony, when applications fail like that a log is created in the Windows Event Viewer. Frequently that log can pinpoint the exact cause of the problem. Here's what you need to do:

Firstly, generate an Internet Explorer failure. Event Viewer can be accessed by typing eventvwr.msc into the "Run" box. When it opens, click on "Windows Logs" then "Application" in the left-hand pane. The top-centre pane should have an "Error" event listed that coincides with the IE crash. If you find it then double-click on it to view the full details. There's also a handy "Copy" button there which you can use if you want to paste the details here for further advice.

Let us know how you get on.

tony-guitar 13:30 15 Dec 2013

Hi Secret-Squirrel, A couple of observations. First, this I.E error message only seems to appear when I click on Google or Bing, ie when I 'search'. I don't recall it happening when I open a site from my 'Favourites' list or type a URL. 2nd, I tried your suggestion. I went on Bing and the I.E error appeared. However there was no error showing in Event Viewer. I've since tried several 'searches' without issues.

tony-guitar 17:16 15 Dec 2013

Hi Secret-Squirrel, the following info came up when clicking on 'Custom Views' in Event Viewer. Description: "Critical, Error and Warning events from all administrator logs". If I double click this, I get under details: IEXPLORE.EXE 11.0.9600.16428 525b664c MSVCR110.dll (under 'General' tab, this MSVCR110.dll code is followed by 'version 11.0.51106.1 and Exception code 0x0000005) Does any of this mean anything to you? Regards Tony

xania 09:16 16 Dec 2013

Before you do anything else, save your favorites folder (users//favorites) to a backup device, then after making the changes you can restore your favorites without loss.

Secret-Squirrel 09:25 16 Dec 2013

That looks like the right event Tony but it would have been better if you'd used the "Copy" button and pasted the entire details for me to look at.

If MSVCR110.dll is indeed the cause of the fault then sadly that doesn't pinpoint the exact cause. MSVCR110.dll is part of the "Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable" which is a framework that makes programs that are written in Visual C++ run on Windows computers.

Malware could perhaps be the cause of your problem so run a "Quick Scan" using the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. If prompted, make sure you untick the option to start the free trial of the paid-for version.

tony-guitar 12:35 16 Dec 2013

Being stupid, I didn't properly follow your original reply (eventvwr/windows log/application), but this morning I did. Much more info now. But being stupid, I don't know how to copy and paste this info for you. I hit 'copy' but the 'paste' button in this program is greyed-out. However, the 'Faulting Module Path' starts with: c\Windows\WinSxS\x86avast.vc110.crt2036b14a11e83e4a_ followed by the other details given before. Is the word 'Avast' significant here? It's my anti-virus program.

Secret-Squirrel 13:48 16 Dec 2013

Thanks for the extra info - it looks like we're now making some progress in finding the culprit.

I'd still like to see the entire event details if possible. After you press the grey "Copy" button bottom-left of the little window, all you then need to do is right-click in the forum-reply box and choose "Paste".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?