Installs/windows updates not working, computer not restarting on it's own

DrBob3002 22:34 03 Sep 2013

Hi, I decided to get a fresh start with a clean install of Windows 8 because it was starting to get cluttered and sluggish. I went ahead with the reinstall and everything went fine, except that now there's tons of insall/update problems. Stuff like Microsoft .NET framework, Windows Updates, nVidia drivers, and tons of other misc. apps I'm trying to install just don't start the install. Another problem is that the computer can't even restart on it's own, I have to press the hard reset button or it just sits are the "Restarting..." screen forever.

I even tried reinstalling Windows yet again (booting from an installation CD this time) thinking maybe something went wrong with installation, but I have the same exact problem.

In this state just about all I can do is browse the web...someone please help!

P.S. This is a custom built PC and this Windows 8 installation is on my SSD.

HenryF75 08:17 06 Sep 2013

I had a similar problem after installing windows 8 on a laptop. Windows update appeared to hang with nothing happening but updates were being downloaded.I suspect your machine seems to stick at the "restarting" screen because updates are being installed although there is no indication of this. I suggest that you start windows updates and just leave the machine for an hour or so to see if things resolve themselves. That is what happened in my case and Windows Updates now works perfectly.

HenryF75 08:17 06 Sep 2013

I had a similar problem after installing windows 8 on a laptop. Windows update appeared to hang with nothing happening but updates were being downloaded.I suspect your machine seems to stick at the "restarting" screen because updates are being installed although there is no indication of this. I suggest that you start windows updates and just leave the machine for an hour or so to see if things resolve themselves. That is what happened in my case and Windows Updates now works perfectly.

HenryF75 08:18 06 Sep 2013

Sorry for the double post. Do not know what happened.

Nemi 14:19 29 Sep 2013

hi i just got a custom made computer, and am currently trying to install windows 8 on it. problem is that there was no previous IOS on it. clean slate so to say, and despite me having plugged in my old screen nothing shows up on it,it just says " no signal input" so i´ve got no idea if it´s actually installing or not. is that normal?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)