installing Vista over XP Fujitsu Siemens PC

EddieA 23:15 03 Jun 2007

Can anyone please help or give advice!
Recently I bought a Fujitsu Siemens P6405 Desktop PC with Windows Media Centre Edition installed.
Just after getting my PC I received the Windows Vista Home Premium Express upgrade disk through the post "note this computer was bought just before the introduction of Vista.
I have read so many horror stories of home upgrades going wrong one of my concerns is that USB ports do not work after upgrading this would stop my mouse working and my upgrade would grind to a halt.
Should I take it to PC World or grit my teeth and go for it.
Ed.

Kate B 23:30 03 Jun 2007

Run the Vista upgrade advisor to check any hardware and software problems, then do a clean install, not an upgrade. Don't give it to PC World to do - it's easy to do yourself.

anskyber 09:35 04 Jun 2007

I agree with KateB. Run the upgrade advisor and deal with any obvious issues there first. I did an upgrade over the top for my machine and it worked fine.

A key point to help is you should have an internet connection at the time, during the install (allow 1-2 hours with reboots and what seems like "nothing happening" patches) Vista will ask you to agree to going online for updates. It will then search for any drivers (eg your USB if needed) so you have a functioning system at the end.

If it is a relatively new machine with little data on it eg photographs or other added programs the the clean install suggested by KateB is a good option but you will lose all your settings, added programs and things like photos and email addresses. I think it's called a custom install when you do it. I would try an upgrade first which does preserve all those things for you, to be honest there are arguments both ways and you should decide which is best for you.

bezzer20 16:03 05 Jun 2007

ill tell you one thing. I have tried both upgrade install aswell as complete install. You would be better of doing a complete install in my experience. If you have an external hard drive whack all your data files on that and format your hard drive just before install (the option is their just before install)as far compatability probs, iv had very few

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?