Installed Win7 on D:, now peripherals dont work

Dynaman 22:45 29 Oct 2010

Hi
I just bought Windows 7 to install on my Windows XP PC.
When the computer was first set up, two sectors were made on the hard drive C: (small space to hold operating system) and D: (the rest, large space). C: contained XP.
C: was too full to allow Win7 upgrade to this, so I allowed it to be installed on D:.
I dont seem to be able to delete XP from C:, or to reformat C: to clear it.

Now, Win 7 boots up but
1) the keyboard does not respond before Win 7 starts (eg in the pre-windows questions about choosing the required operating system, 'last good configuration', etc)
2) the sound does not work
3) the printer doesn't work.

I guess there is some information on C: that is used to run these ports and Win 7 cant now see them. Or something....erm. So:

1) How do I fix the problems with the peripherals?
2) How do I reformat C: or put Win7 on C:, if thats the solution? I did eventually delete somestuff from C: so there maybe enough room now.

Thanks for any advice you can give. Hi
I just bought Windows 7 to install on my Windows XP PC.
When the computer was first set up, two sectors were made on the hard drive C: (small space to hold operating system) and D: (the rest, large space). C: contained XP.
C: was too full to allow Win7 upgrade to this, so I allowed it to be installed on D:.
I dont seem to be able to delete XP from C:, or to reformat C: to clear it.

Now, Win 7 boots up but
1) the keyboard does not respond before Win 7 starts (eg in the pre-windows questions about choosing the required operating system, 'last good configuration', etc)
2) the sound does not work
3) the printer doesn't work.

I guess there is some information on C: that is used to run these ports and Win 7 cant now see them. Or something....erm. So:

1) How do I fix the problems with the peripherals?
2) How do I reformat C: or put Win7 on C:, if thats the solution? I did eventually delete somestuff from C: so there maybe enough room now.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

a member 08:45 30 Oct 2010

1 you cannot instigate an upgrade from windows XP to windows 7 ,it wont work ,microsoft know this and there are several tutorials on how to do a full install using the same (backup) disk.google it .
the reason that you cannot delete C is that the boot files are stored there, and windows 7 management will not allow deletion of that partition .
the first thing to do is back up (to dvd /external drive etc.) any important files from your XP (C) drive ,make sure you include things like address book favorites etc. then restart your pc with the installation disc in and choose full install (not upgrade). and chhose custom ,that will give you the option to select where you want to install (c) .
sound card drivers and printer/scanner drivers are often needed even after installing windows 7 .
download a neat little program called belarc advisor ,it wil run on your pc and give you a lot of useful information including your motherboard model number etc ,visit either the motherboard manufacturer and look up your model ,to see if new drivers are available for your hardware.

a member 08:48 30 Oct 2010

should have mentioned ,you should run the windows 7 upgrade advisor from microsoft ,run it from within your XP installation ,it will advise you of any problems with your setup or hard ware that may interfere with a smooth installation .

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?