Installation can't reboot

miss stella 16:59 15 Nov 2006

I downloaded Vista and made a new partition exactly as instructed by crossbow7. I then started the installation and entered the code. All went well, the copying of files was fine and then the expand bit started, I left it at 50%, next time I looked it said "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows restart installation.
I started again after disabling my password and stopped AVG. I had done the discheck and defrag exactly as told on the geek forum (thanks crossbow7). Same happened again (twice) I have XP sp2 which was recently reinstalled on my Toshiba laptop from the suppiled disc and have only a few genuine programs on it, mainly business.
Any suggestions before I abandon the project and stick with XP.

Thanks Stella.
ps I don't seem to be able to find a solution on the forum anywhere else, sorry if it exists.
S.

ezypcy 17:14 15 Nov 2006

Which Vista are you installing and was it from the torrents or MS?

miss stella 19:02 15 Nov 2006

It is the download from the MS website, downloaded on the last day of September 2006. I had read on the PC Advisor Forum that it was the last day of being able to download the beta version so I thought I would give it a try to see what all the hype was about. I am not too fussy about it, Win 3.1 was good enough for me years ago as long as I could open my apps' but we must move with the times.

PC has 1gb memory and 2gb Centrino. The partition I made is 20gb with 60gb left.

Thank you, any suggestions.
Stella.

ezypcy 20:34 15 Nov 2006

Have you tried re-directing the boot order,within the bios,
so you can boot directly from the Vista dvd and not install from within XP.

When it askes which partition to use,it also allows
you to re-format the partition at this point.

It could be a inherent laptop problem.

Stick with it because Vista is pretty good.

miss stella 20:44 15 Nov 2006

Thank you for the reply.
I am lost now. Please can you enlighten me on how to re-direct the boot order? I am sat in a hotel away from home and after I have seen a customer tomorrow I will be home and try again. Please keep watching this post for my reply after, I hope, you have advised me.

Stella.

ezypcy 21:13 15 Nov 2006

When your laptop starts-up it says something like
press F2 OR DEL key to enter the Bios.
Select CD as 1st in the boot order then EXIT ( select Save at this point).

Rememeber to re-select 1st in boot order ,back to hard drive (HD0) when finished installing.

Before changing anything ,just have a look inside the bios.

Thought you would be sat at the bar by now....lol

miss stella 16:02 16 Nov 2006

What a star, thanks to you all. I have now installed Vista and as I had My Favourites and address book on a USB pendrive I have imported both. I have to stay over another night and as I had finished my meeting by 11 AM I managed to get it up and running and configure it to the Hotel Wi Fi to get on line. I was dead scared I wouldn't be able to get on line on either XP or Vista if I had messed it up. Two more questions. If I transfer files and settings to Vista will they be lost from XP and will I have to enter them again? secondly, is there a way to change from XP to Vista easily. Maybe that's already on the Vista forum, sorry.

And yes I was sat in the bar soon after my last posting and will be down again tonight. My fellow thinks thats all we do when we are in hotels.
I owe you both a pint so I will have 2 more glasses of wine tonight to make up for it.

Thanks again, very much,
Stella.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?