Icons on start screen display issue

Gary Wood 16:33 13 Nov 2013

I'm running Windows 8.1. Today, the scrollbar arrows in Internet Explorer 11 and some of the navigation icons on the Start screen appeared as rectangles instead of arrows or the proper icons. Searching online, I came across this post, which matches shows the same problem and details a fix that involves replacing the Segoe UI font. I've done this, and the icons are now back, with one exception. The small arrow in a circle that appears at the bottom left of the Start screen and allows you to access All Programs is still appearing as a rectangle. It functions fine, but it's really annoying! Can anyone suggest a way to fix this?

Gary Wood 18:52 13 Nov 2013

I ran System Restore and restored to a time before some updates were installed yesterday, and all is now well. Things were fine this morning after the updates last night, so by trial and error, I've traced the problem to Bitstream Font Navigator. If I run it and use it to add or remove any fonts from my system (which I did this morning), then the icons go messed up again, and I have to use System Restore again. At least I know what caused it, now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017